Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Bob Morley <rm...@emforium.com> on 2009/12/10 23:00:08 UTC

Financial Accounts - Deposits & Withdrawals

I am really hoping someone can shed some light on the best way to handle the
following scenario:

Dude comes into the store and slaps $1000 on the desk as a deposit for some
Christmas shopping he will be doing in the future.  At some point later,
same Dude comes in and buys some fancy stuff and uses that $1000 deposit to
pay for it.

What we do now is create a financial account of type DEPOSIT_ACCOUNT when he
comes into the store.  We then make a payment to the financial account of
type "CUSTOMER_DEPOSIT" for the $1000.  Ultimately, when the customer comes
in to make the sale we use this financial account as form of payment.
Theoretically the dude can come back in and withdrawal the funds from this
deposit account.

However, the payment never seems to be getting completed.  If I attempt to
go through the payment workflow I am forced to apply it to either a billing
account, payment, invoice, or tax authority.  Moreover, the workflow for the
financial account transaction was equally frustrating -- I could not
actually get the $1000 to apply to the guys account unless I ran some form
of financial account reconciliation.  I have tried to read all of the
available documentation in the financial and billing account area; but I
feel I must be missing something.  The only way I could get the
reconciliation to work was to zap my database assigning the gl
reconciliation id on the fin_account_trans (I think putting that transaction
into the reconciliation pool).

Can anyone comment on this use case -- am I using the proper entities and/or
is there configuration or some other fanciness that could streamline this
process.

Re: Financial Accounts - Deposits & Withdrawals

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.
The only time I can think of that you would need an invoice when putting money into a financial account is if there was an order with a product that represented putting money in, and the invoice would be for the source of the money (cash, CC, whatever) and not for the target of the money (the fin account). If the money comes in through some other means an invoice shouldn't be necessary, and if it comes in through an order the invoice part should be pretty automatic.

About the UBPL stories, there should be general things in there for some of these basic operations, and hopefully you wouldn't have to write too much. Anyway, my hope was that it would be an asset, and if not at least the approach of the overlap documentation based on the story would be helpful.

-David

Posted by Bob Morley <rm...@emforium.com>.
Hi David,

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.