Posted to dev@phoenix.apache.org by Thomas D'Silva <td...@salesforce.com> on 2019/01/08 19:34:57 UTC

[DISCUSS] phoenix-connectors and phoenix-queryserver release process

We are currently working on moving the connectors and queryserver to their
own repos (see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PHOENIX-5062 and
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PHOENIX-5063).
IMO we should have a single branch for each repo that depends on a released
version of Phoenix/HBase. I thinnk we should start the pom versions at
1.0.0. We can then have connectors or queryserver releases independent of
Phoenix. For the connectors, I think we should release all of them when we
have a connector release. Same with queryserver (release both the server
and client).
What do folks think?

Re: [DISCUSS] phoenix-connectors and phoenix-queryserver release process

Posted by Vincent Poon <vi...@apache.org>.
Right now the "presto connector" I'm working on also builds an uber jar
that is like phoenix-client but with some additional excludes and
relocations.  So I would need to build one for each Phoenix release.  So I
was thinking of something like:
phoenix-client-4.14.1-HBase-1.4-presto-1.0.0.jar

I would think it would be the same for e.g. PQS, if we ultimately want to
build a tarball that includes everything you need to run PQS, which is the
easiest thing for users.  You need a specific Phoenix client version to
include in the bundle.

Yet at the same time, we want to avoid having many branches like Phoenix.

So maybe we can just have a single master branch, and have a 'target'
Phoenix version as a variable, with a default of the latest Phoenix release.
Then at release time we can deploy with different Phoenix version targets
as needed.

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.