Posted to user@struts.apache.org by jelything <ja...@shaw.ca> on 2005/02/23 21:59:25 UTC

[OT] Market share of development technologies?

Hi there, sorry if this is too OT, but I was wondering if anybody knew
of a reputable source that might give me some idea of how much of
current development is in java (jsp, servlets), asp, asp.net, etc,
etc.    Perhaps there's some good articles on developing trends somewhere?

TIA,

Re: [OT] Market share of development technologies?

Posted by Vic <vi...@friendvu.com>.
One example of

3) Statistics

kinf of a lie is this site:
http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2003/04/10/java_servlet_engines.html

.V

--
Forums, Boards, Blogs and News in RiA <http://www.boardVU.com>

Re: [OT] Market share of development technologies?

Posted by Larry Meadors <la...@gmail.com>.
This is an impossible question to answer. Why? Let me give you an example:

I looked at some stats a few years ago around databases - we were
considering SQL Server, Oracle and DB2. Oracle had the most
transactions being processed. DB2 had the most data stored. SQL Server
had the most servers. So, who had the most market share? All of them
had a legitmitate claim to the most market share.

You have probaly heard that there are 3 kinds of lies:
 1) Lies
 2) Damn lies
 3) Statistics

So, are you looking for the most installed servers? Most versions
sold? Most lines of code? Most users? Most developers? Most growth?

Tomcat probably wins in the first case. IBM or M$ in the second.
Oracle in the third. The last one is the M$ favorite, because .NET is
new, and so it doubles every few months!

There will not likely be a clear winner here.

I promise you that each vendor will claim that they have the most
market share in one of those areas that they claim is more important
than all the others.

Larry