Posted to user@spark.apache.org by "nicholas.chammas" <ni...@gmail.com> on 2014/02/24 03:33:10 UTC

Spark Quick Start - call to open README.md needs explicit fs prefix

I just deployed Spark 0.9.0 to EC2 using the guide
here<http://spark.incubator.apache.org/docs/latest/ec2-scripts.html>.
I then turned to the Quick Start guide
here<http://spark.incubator.apache.org/docs/latest/quick-start.html>
and
walked through it using the Python shell.

When I do this:

>>> textFile = sc.textFile("README.md")
>>> textFile.count()

I get a long error output right after the count() that includes this:

org.apache.hadoop.mapred.InvalidInputException: Input path does not exist:
hdfs://ec2-my-node-address.compute-1.amazonaws.com:9000/user/root/README.md

So I guess Spark assumed that the file was in HDFS.

To get the file open and count to work, I had to do this:

>>> textFile = sc.textFile("file:///root/spark/README.md")
>>> textFile.count()

I get the same results if I use the Scala shell.

Does the quick start guide need to updated, or did I miss something?

Nick

Re: Spark Quick Start - call to open README.md needs explicit fs prefix

Posted by Nicholas Chammas <ni...@gmail.com>.
Makes sense. Thank you.

Posted by Matei Zaharia <ma...@gmail.com>.