Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by James Sirota <js...@hortonworks.com> on 2016/10/03 21:04:37 UTC

[VOTE] Releasing Apache Metron 0.2.1BETA-RC2

This is a call to vote on releasing Apache Metron 0.2.1BETA-RC2 incubating

Full list of changes in this release:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/metron/0.2.1BETA-RC2-incubating/CHANGES

The tag/commit to be voted upon is Metron_0.2.1BETA_rc2:

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-metron.git;a=commit;h=3e278cdc2c60d6d193d53157512c68b2a3ed58de

The source archive being voted upon can be found here:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/metron/0.2.1BETA-RC2-incubating/apache-metron-0.2.1BETA-RC2-incubating.tar.gz

Other release files, signatures and digests can be found here:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/metron/0.2.1BETA-RC2-incubating/

The release artifacts are signed with the following key:

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-metron.git;a=blob;f=KEYS;h=c11bcb9b7385b4d155501aa097afd890f1070a18;hb=3e278cdc2c60d6d193d53157512c68b2a3ed58de

Please vote on releasing this package as Apache Metron 0.2.1BETA-RC2 incubating

When voting, please list the actions taken to verify the release.
Recommended build validation and verification instructions are posted here:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/METRON/Verifying+Builds

[ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Metron 0.2.0BETA-RC2 incubating
[ ] 0 No opinion

Re: [VOTE] Releasing Apache Metron 0.2.1BETA-RC2

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.
Hi David,

Typically, if you want to have to separately-released software packages
under Metron, you would either have separate repositories or separate
Maven builds (in the same repository). It seems strange to me that
you're essentially "releasing" the MPack (with a SNAPSHOT version?) with
Metron 0.2.1BETA-incubating...

So, the real concern I have is that this MPack-1.0.0.0-SNAPSHOT is now
being released with the Metron-0.2.1BETA-incubating artifacts. It seems
like you're suggesting it is not meant to be released now..

Posted by David Lyle <dl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Josh,

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.
Hi Casey,

I noticed two things in my casual glance:

1) META-INF/NOTICE says "Curator Service Discovery", not "Apache Metron"
(and META-INF/NOTICE.txt is for commons-cli)
2) I see that commons-math3 is included, and I am nearly 100% positive
that there ware are NOTICE entries that need to be propagated from that
artifact into your NOTICE

Obviously, this is not an exhaustive "fix x, y, and z", but we can help
with that if there is confusion. The L&N on the tarball is good, so I
assume ya'll on are the path to being experts :)

Posted by Casey Stella <ce...@gmail.com>.
Hey Josh,

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

+1 binding

 I checked:
- name includes incubating
- signatures and hashed are good
- LICENSE is missing a licence (see below)
- NOTICE is good
- A file are missing apache headers [4], all others are good
- No unexpected binary files in release
- Can compile from source

This file [1] incorrectly (IMO) has an Apache header and it’s permissive license [2][3] (which I assumes is BSD?) is missing from LICENSE. Please fix this in the next release.

Thanks,
Justin

1. ./metron-platform/metron-data-management/src/test/java/org/apache/metron/dataloads/extractor/stix/StixExtractorTest.java
2. http://stix.mitre.org/about/termsofuse.html
3. http://stixproject.github.io/legal/
4. ./metron-analytics/metron-maas-service/src/test/resources/maas/dummy_rest.sh