Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by nageshsrao <na...@yahoo.com> on 2007/08/14 12:32:29 UTC

Frequent "SEVERE: Unable to receive message through TCP channel" messages

Hi,

In our prod environment we have two tomcat's [ 5.0.27]  running on two linux
boxes [ RHAS 3.0 update8 ] and using mod_jk2.0 thru apache for accessing the
information.

very frequently we see the following messages in the catalina.out and there
are about 2 instances where tomcat stopped responding and we had to restart.
the only errors that we see are the following.. There are INFO which keeps
telling us member is disappeared and added and once in a while we have
SEVERE messages.

Could you let us know, what could be causing this problem? is there any
additional configuration that are needed?,  This environment is running for
almost 18 months in production and off-late [ in the last 6 months] we have
seen this happenned twice.  I have attached both the error log found in the
catalina.out and also the server.xml from both the tomcat.

http://www.nabble.com/file/p12142134/catalina-error.out catalina-error.out
http://www.nabble.com/file/p12142134/server-app1.xml server-app1.xml
http://www.nabble.com/file/p12142134/server-app2.xml server-app2.xml

Re: Frequent "SEVERE: Unable to receive message through TCP channel" messages

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
nageshsrao wrote:
> we are getting the GC printed on to the same catalina.out and we see that the
> memberAdded messages appear almost at the time of GB getting printed, does
> it prove that longer GC pauses are causing this? is there any other data
> points/proof can be get?

E.g. -XX:+PrintGCApplicationStoppedTime

> rearding "network problems", we are requesting the network to capture the
> multicast traffic between these nodes, is there anything you suggest us to
> do?

If you are doing the multicast only inside a subnet, the usual basic
network monitoring should be sufficient. But often during phases were
you have problems that might be network related it is good to keep in
touch with the network people in order to discuss, if they know about
any general network problems.

If you do multicasting crossing the borders of subnets, the network
needs to use multicast group membership protocols, which involves
complicated configuration of routers. Most users though don't need to
cross subnets.

> regaring "increase the membership timeout" we plan to increase this to 5
> minutes, do you have any other suggestions.  tomcat startup takes almost 70
> seconds ( it hosts almost 32 apps) and all of them are clustered.

I would expect, that your GC even with a big heap won't take longer than
20 seconds. Most likely it's much less. On the other hand if you go to 5
minutes, you would always need to wait 5 minutes between shutting down
one node and starting it up again. It seems unreasonable to me, that IT
staff will obey that. I would suggest 30 seconds and a clear message in
the startup script, to remember people using it, that they have to wait
30 seconds after stopping and before starting again.

Regards,

Rainer

Re: Frequent "SEVERE: Unable to receive message through TCP channel" messages

Posted by nageshsrao <na...@yahoo.com>.
we are getting the GC printed on to the same catalina.out and we see that the
memberAdded messages appear almost at the time of GB getting printed, does
it prove that longer GC pauses are causing this? is there any other data
points/proof can be get?

rearding "network problems", we are requesting the network to capture the
multicast traffic between these nodes, is there anything you suggest us to
do?

regaring "increase the membership timeout" we plan to increase this to 5
minutes, do you have any other suggestions.  tomcat startup takes almost 70
seconds ( it hosts almost 32 apps) and all of them are clustered.

regards,

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.