Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Xavier Stevens <Xa...@fox.com> on 2009/02/13 17:38:44 UTC

Hadoop Write Performance

Does anyone have an expected or experienced write speed to HDFS outside
of Map/Reduce?  Any recommendations on properties to tweak in
hadoop-site.xml?

Currently I have a multi-threaded writer where each thread is writing to
a different file.  But after a while I get this:

java.io.IOException: Could not get block locations. Aborting...
 at
org.apache.hadoop.dfs.DFSClient$DFSOutputStream.processDatanodeError(DFS
Client.java:2081)
 at
org.apache.hadoop.dfs.DFSClient$DFSOutputStream.access$1300(DFSClient.ja
va:1702)
 at
org.apache.hadoop.dfs.DFSClient$DFSOutputStream$DataStreamer.run(DFSClie
nt.java:1818)

Which is perhaps indicating that the namenode is overwhelmed?

Thanks,

-Xavier

RE: Hadoop Write Performance

Posted by Xavier Stevens <Xa...@fox.com>.
Raghu,

I was using 0.17.2.1, but I installed 0.18.3 a couple of days ago.  I
also separated out my secondarynamenode and jobtracker to another
machine.  In addition my network operations people had misconfigured
some switches which ended up being my bottleneck.

After all of that my writer and Hadoop is working great.

-Xavier

You could check log on a datanode around that time. You could post any
suspicious errors. For e.g. you can trace a particular block in client
and datanode logs.

Most likely it not a NameNode issue, but you can check NameNode log as
well.

Raghu.

Posted by Raghu Angadi <ra...@yahoo-inc.com>.
what is the hadoop version?

Re: Disabling Reporter Output?

Posted by jason hadoop <ja...@gmail.com>.
There is a moderate a mount of setup and tear down in any hadoop job. It may
be that your 10 seconds are primarily that.

Disabling Reporter Output?