Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by John McKeown <mc...@cs.tcd.ie> on 2001/05/31 11:14:00 UTC

XML Europe 2001 Proceedings

Hi all

This posting is a little bit off-topic but may be of interest to some people
on the list. The XML Europe 2001 conference took place in Berlin last week
(May 21-25). This year the conference organisers decided to produce an
electronic version of the conference proceedings and no print version (in
recent years they have produced both electronic and print versions).

The proceedings contain both HTML and PDF versions of each paper. The PDF
versions were created using Apache FOP and style sheets based on the DocBook
XSL style sheets from Norman Walsh (www.nwalsh.com). The proceedings were
distributed on CD-Rom to each attendee and are also available online at
http://www.gca.org/papers/xmleurope2001/. The main page contains a search
engine and links to a number of index pages for navigating the proceedings.

A link to the PDF version of each paper is provided at the top of the HTML
page for that paper. The PDF versions use an embedded font (Arial Unicode)
and in some cases when the PDF file is opened within a browser any text that
uses the embedded font is not displayed. However, clicking the browser
refresh button will cause the text to be displayed. Can anyone comment on
what might cause this behaviour?

John

Re: XML Europe 2001 Proceedings

Posted by Arved Sandstrom <Ar...@chebucto.ns.ca>.
At 07:18 AM 5/31/01 -0500, you wrote:
>On 31 May 2001 07:57:54 -0300, Arved Sandstrom wrote:
>>
>> P.S. How is it that lots of people think IE is the better browser? :-)
>> What was that reason again? Remind me....
>
>It supports XSLT?

I think MS should work on having IE support HTML more reliably before they
worry too much about advanced stuff. I had to get rid of IE 5 because it
crashed so much. Netscape may not support so many theoretical features, but
at least it doesn't blow up so often.

Regards,
Arved

Fairly Senior Software Type
e-plicity (http://www.e-plicity.com)

Re: XML Europe 2001 Proceedings

Posted by Weiqi Gao <we...@networkusa.net>.

--
Weiqi Gao
weiqigao@networkusa.net

Re: XML Europe 2001 Proceedings

Posted by Arved Sandstrom <Ar...@chebucto.ns.ca>.
At 10:14 AM 5/31/01 +0100, John McKeown wrote:
>Hi all
>
>This posting is a little bit off-topic but may be of interest to some people
>on the list. The XML Europe 2001 conference took place in Berlin last week
>(May 21-25). This year the conference organisers decided to produce an
>electronic version of the conference proceedings and no print version (in
>recent years they have produced both electronic and print versions).
>
>The proceedings contain both HTML and PDF versions of each paper. The PDF
>versions were created using Apache FOP and style sheets based on the DocBook
>XSL style sheets from Norman Walsh (www.nwalsh.com). The proceedings were
>distributed on CD-Rom to each attendee and are also available online at
>http://www.gca.org/papers/xmleurope2001/. The main page contains a search
>engine and links to a number of index pages for navigating the proceedings.
>
>A link to the PDF version of each paper is provided at the top of the HTML
>page for that paper. The PDF versions use an embedded font (Arial Unicode)
>and in some cases when the PDF file is opened within a browser any text that
>uses the embedded font is not displayed. However, clicking the browser
>refresh button will cause the text to be displayed. Can anyone comment on
>what might cause this behaviour?

No answers yet, but I do observe that IE (I tested versions 5.0 and 5.5) are
the ones having serious problems in this regard. I can't even refresh to see
the embedded fonts, and IE stalls out when trying to save the PDFs to disk.

Netscape (4.08, even, I might add, which I use) very cleanly displays the
PDF document in the browser, and also saves perfectly well. No refreshing
needed.

This is with the latest Acrobat Reader (standalone and browser plugins): 5.0.

Regards,
Arved Sandstrom