Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Wendy Smoak <ja...@wendysmoak.com> on 2005/08/09 03:43:18 UTC

Multiproject site navigation question

Just looking for confirmation before I type more than I have to.

With multiproject:site, I find that adding a navigation.xml file completely
replaces the menu structure.  If I have a navigation.xml, am I then
responsible for creating links to the sub-project sites under the
'multiproject' directory?

Thanks,
Wendy Smoak

Re: Multiproject site navigation question

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com>.
Wendy Smoak wrote:
> From: "Jay H. Hartley" <ma...@jay.hartley.name>
>
>> You mention that you "need" to have the documentation as part of the root
>> web site. Would having it one link down but clearly labeled at the top of
>> the sub-project list satisfy the need?
>

> No, the files really need to be up at the top level.  I'm integrating
> the existing Struts site into the Maven-generated multi-project site,
> and I don't want to break all the links that are already out there.
> It's looking good so far... I just wanted to be sure I wasn't doing more
> work than necessary in navigation.xml. :)
>
> Another multiproject site question:  Is there a way to override the
> directory name that 'multiproject:site' comes up with for each
> subproject? It seems to be coming from the <id> tag in project.xml.
> Some of the <id>s don't match the directory names we've been using for
> those projects, but they are correct for use in the .jar file name.
>
> For example, the Struts Flow website is http://struts.apache.org/flow,
> yet its <id> is 'struts-flow'.  Once the documentation gets pushed down
> under /struts/current/flow/xdocs, I need to retain the directory name
> for the website, yet the .jar file needs to be struts-flow-x.x.x.jar.
>
> There's a property for everything else. :)  But I don't see anything
> relevant on http://maven.apache.org/reference/plugins/site/properties.html
>
> Is this possible to override, or is the answer possibly as simple as a
> postGoal to rename the directory?

No, there is no way to override this.  The multiproject plugin creates
the directories in a loop over subprojects, using the artifact id to
name each directory.

Using a postGoal to multiproject:site to rename should work, assuming
you are specifying your own nav's.

Phil

Re: Multiproject site navigation question

Posted by dan tran <da...@gmail.com>.
how about set artifactId=flow

and have

maven.final.name=struts-flow-${pom.}-${pom.currentVersion}

sounds like a hack to me;-) but may work, checkout maven-jar-plugin properties

-D

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ja...@wendysmoak.com>.
From: "Jay H. Hartley" <ma...@jay.hartley.name>

Posted by "Jay H. Hartley" <ma...@jay.hartley.name>.
Our approach is to have a dedicated documentation sub-project, with just
xdocs. The multiproject parent project has little if anything in it, so the
default navigation is fine. One of the links then leads to "Documentation".
That project then has a customized navigation.xml linking together all the
"root-level" documentation for the multiproject.

You mention that you "need" to have the documentation as part of the root
web site. Would having it one link down but clearly labeled at the top of
the sub-project list satisfy the need?

Jay

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com>.

Posted by dan tran <da...@gmail.com>.
Yes.

but

You can make a parent project that host the multiproject so that
your navigation.xml can refrence your links and link to the generated
multtiproject:site

-D

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ja...@wendysmoak.com>.
From: "dan tran" <da...@gmail.com>

Posted by dan tran <da...@gmail.com>.
Wendy, from maven-site-plugin doco, you dont create nagivation.xml at
the root.  Let the multiproejct:site generate it for you.

However if you already have navigation.xml in the root project,
multiproject:site
should not overwrite it.

-Dan