Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by jim ferenczi <ji...@apache.org> on 2019/03/07 16:53:11 UTC

[VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.0.0 RC3

Please vote for release candidate 3 for Lucene/Solr 8.0.0

The artifacts can be downloaded from
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-8.0.0-RC3-reva9d80bf18af04850ea21dcf88a40367559fb246e
You can run the smoke tester directly with this command:
python3 -u dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py
*https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-8.0.0-RC3-reva9d80bf18af04850ea21dcf88a40367559fb246e
<https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-8.0.0-RC3-reva9d80bf18af04850ea21dcf88a40367559fb246e>*

Here’s my +1
SUCCESS! [1:14:08.843490]

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.0.0 RC3

Posted by Adrien Grand <jp...@gmail.com>.
It's not clear whether you are only asking for a backport or also for a respin.

I'm reluctant to respin: we built the first release candidate more
than 3 week ago now and have had to postpone it since then because of
late bugs. This is asking too much to the release manager in my
opinion. I am +1 to backport this change so that it makes it to 8.0.1,
or 8.0 if we decide to respin for another bug, but I think it's time
to raise the bar in terms of what bugs should be considered blockers
for 8.0.

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 7:51 PM Noble Paul <no...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to backport SOLR-13285
>
> On Fri, Mar 8, 2019 at 3:53 AM jim ferenczi <ji...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > Please vote for release candidate 3 for Lucene/Solr 8.0.0
> >
> > The artifacts can be downloaded from https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-8.0.0-RC3-reva9d80bf18af04850ea21dcf88a40367559fb246e
> > You can run the smoke tester directly with this command:
> > python3 -u dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-8.0.0-RC3-reva9d80bf18af04850ea21dcf88a40367559fb246e
> >
> > Here’s my +1
> > SUCCESS! [1:14:08.843490]

Adrien

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.0.0 RC3

Posted by Noble Paul <no...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Furkan KAMACI <fu...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Sorry, but I also think that we should respin it if we can instead of
running a release of 8.0.1.

Kind Regards,
Furkan KAMACI

Posted by Anshum Gupta <an...@anshumgupta.net>.
I've backported and pushed SOLR-13285 to branch_8_0 (
https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=lucene-solr.git;h=2ae4746). Ran all
tests and precommit.

Good luck, and hopefully this is it! Thank you once again for the patience,
Jim.

Anshum Gupta

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.0.0 RC3

Posted by jim ferenczi <ji...@gmail.com>.
Thanks !

Posted by Anshum Gupta <an...@anshumgupta.net>.

Posted by jim ferenczi <ji...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adrien Grand <jp...@gmail.com>.
Since there is already a fix as Tomás mentioned, can someone backport
it to branch_8_0 so that we can try to get a new RC out today?

@Ishan Chattopadhyaya No worry at all, thanks for taking care of
getting 7.7.1 out.

On Fri, Mar 8, 2019 at 8:24 AM Anshum Gupta <an...@anshumgupta.net> wrote:

> Having done these releases more than a few times, I completely understand the frustration caused by such delays but I think that SOLR-13285 is something that really breaks Solr in a major version release. We can always have a 8.0.1 release that fixes it but I feel like it would not be a good thing to offer an 8.0.0 version to end-users knowing that it would cause issues for anyone using enum fields.
>
> I am sorry that it would require more time and effort at the end of the RM but In my opinion, this is worth a respin.
>
> Anshum
>
> On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 10:52 PM Ishan Chattopadhyaya <ic...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> In case we go through with this RC, I can volunteer to release a 8.0.1 (with SOLR-13285) immediately after 8.0.0 release.
>> @Adrien, Jim, I really understand the frustrations of an RM, and I also apologize for the delay I caused to this release due to the intermediate 7.7.1 release where I didn't do it as quickly as I could have (delay in building the RC, delay in backporting the backward compatibility indexes etc).
>>

>> On Fri, Mar 8, 2019 at 10:52 AM Tomás Fernández Löbbe <to...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I understand the frustration with the delay and the number of respins, and I don't want to be disrespectful of Jim's time as RC, but from what I can see, SOLR-13285 would prevent anyone with enum fields to use Solr 8.0, and the fix is already available.
>>>
>>> -0

Adrien

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.0.0 RC3

Posted by Anshum Gupta <an...@anshumgupta.net>.

Posted by Ishan Chattopadhyaya <ic...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tomás Fernández Löbbe <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nhat Nguyen <nh...@elastic.co.INVALID>.
+1 SUCCESS! [0:54:05.261238]

Posted by Adrien Grand <jp...@gmail.com>.
+1 SUCCESS! [1:25:54.239684]

--
Adrien

RE: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.0.0 RC3

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Hi,

I did the same tests like last time. Here the results:

https://jenkins.thetaphi.de/job/Lucene-Solr-Release-Tester/17/console

SUCCESS! [2:37:21.770467]

The testing was done with Java 8 and Java 9 (this is why it took longer).

I also checked Changes.txt, looks fine!

I also checked the ZIP files of Lucene and Solr. Lucene looks as usual, MIGRATE.txt is also fine – thanks for adding recent information! JAR files also look fine, compiled with correct version of Java and patches multi-release class files are there.

Apache Solr was unzipped and quickly tested on Windows: Startup with Java 8 and Java 11 worked without any problems from a directory with whitespace in path. I was able to do a HTTP/2 request with CURL (non-TLS) on both O/S (as ALPN is not available without TLS, the curl client needed to upgrade the request, so you see “101 Switching Protocols”):

Uwe Schindler@VEGA:~ > curl -I --http2 localhost:8983/solr/

HTTP/1.1 101 Switching Protocols

HTTP/2 200

x-frame-options: DENY

content-type: text/html;charset=utf-8

content-length: 14662

So, it worked. In the webbrowser it did not use HTTP/2, as browsers require SSL and ALPN for that (by default).

Next I enabled TLS support by creating a keystore. This time it was possible to start Solr on Java 8 and Java 11 – bug fixed. With Solr running in Java 8, CURL was only able to do a HTTP/1.1 request because ALPN told this to the curl client:

Uwe Schindler@VEGA:~ > curl -k -I --http2 https://localhost:8983/solr/

HTTP/1.1 200 OK

With Java 11, my curl test worked with HTTP/2, this time no protocol switch needed as ALPN is active:

Uwe Schindler@VEGA:~ > curl -k -I --http2 https://localhost:8983/solr/

HTTP/2 200

x-frame-options: DENY

content-type: text/html;charset=utf-8

content-length: 14662

I also checked in Chrome browser, this time it uses HTTP/2 to communicate with the admin interface. Fine!

+1 to release Lucene/Solr 8.0.0 (RC3).

Uwe

-----

Uwe Schindler

Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen

http://www.thetaphi.de <http://www.thetaphi.de/>

Please vote for release candidate 3 for Lucene/Solr 8.0.0

The artifacts can be downloaded from  <https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-8.0.0-RC3-reva9d80bf18af04850ea21dcf88a40367559fb246e> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-8.0.0-RC3-reva9d80bf18af04850ea21dcf88a40367559fb246e
You can run the smoke tester directly with this command:
python3 -u dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py  <https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-8.0.0-RC3-reva9d80bf18af04850ea21dcf88a40367559fb246e> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-solr-8.0.0-RC3-reva9d80bf18af04850ea21dcf88a40367559fb246e

Here’s my +1

SUCCESS! [1:14:08.843490]