Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com> on 2007/08/10 02:47:14 UTC

Re: Further Jetspeed-2 development plans - jetspeed light

On Jul 21, 2007, at 9:45 AM, Elliot Metsger wrote:

> Ate Douma wrote:
>>
>> - Jetspeed "light" (no need for database persistence and much
>> simplified
>> page/site management)
>>

> I think jetspeed (of) light is a good idea.  I don't have many
> thoughts but
> I would like to offer some datapoints.
>
> 1. The 1.1.4 (release candidate, please vote) with a bundled Tomcat
> starts
> in 3.9 ms on my laptop (Macbook Pro 2.33 MHz Intel Core 2 Duo).

3.9 ms, awesome dude!!! You guys rock!!!

I just tested Pluto 1.1.3 on my Macbook Pro 2.33 Mhz Intel Core 2
Duo, and it started up in about 3 or 4 seconds
Some serious improvements in 1.1.4, you shaved Tomcat startup down to
almost nothing!

With Jetspeed basic build (only j2-admin webapp) it starts in about 8
seconds on the same machine
I guess adding webapps, depending on the size and number of classes,
will be a constant for all portals as they
still all need to go through the Java class loader and pay the same
price

> 2.  The following statement (obviously) is anecdotal: Everyone I
> know uses
> Pluto Portal to develop portlets.  There is certainly some non-zero
> usage of
> Pluto Portal as a "real" portal (based on pluto list traffic), but
> absolutely every person that I know who develops JSR 168 portlets
> is using
> the Pluto Portal as their development environment.  After they have
> developed their portlet, they drop it into whatever their
> enterprise portal
> is.

Cool, nice of you to say that.
We use the Pluto container for portal development as well, embedded
in Jetspeed.

> So if Pluto Portal becomes Jetspeed Light (however that happens) my
> concern
> is that it remains as easy to use (this area can definitely use some
> improvment), fast, and lightweight as possible for portlet developers.

Yes, that is my goal as well. Look forward to working with you