Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by bo zhaobo <bz...@gmail.com> on 2019/06/10 08:16:02 UTC

DISCUSS: Is there any idea about ARM CI for Hbase?

Hi guys,

My name is ZhaoBo, a member from OpenLab CI Team, I had post a issue [1]
several days ago.
The reason to do this is for the ARM eco-system and make Hbase can be run
on more devices.
So I wish our HBASE core team members can leave some comments or
suggestions on it.

Thank you very much.

Best regards

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-22468

Re: DISCUSS: Is there any idea about ARM CI for Hbase?

Posted by bo zhaobo <bz...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sean,

Thank you very much for the nice suggestions, you showed us a good way to
try, and the goal we should focus on.

I'm so glad to hear that you could help about this if possible. Yeah, "do
it in existing CI for ARM" that's what we want to do. That's very great if
you could give some details about how to add the resources and test into
the existing CI. Thank you, Sean.

Also, that's good if there will also be other contributors want to take
part in this work. ;-)

Thank you

Best Regards,

ZhaoBo

[image: Mailtrack]
Sender
notified by
Mailtrack
19/06/27
上午10:55:04

Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org> 于2019年6月26日周三 下午7:16写道:

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.
Hi ZhaoBo!

Posted by bo zhaobo <bz...@gmail.com>.
Hi team,

Posted by bo zhaobo <bz...@gmail.com>.
Any updates from team?  Thanks you

[image: Mailtrack]
Sender
notified by
Mailtrack
19/06/21
下午3:37:23
*×*REMOVE <#m_9060835149257889588_>

Re: DISCUSS: Is there any idea about ARM CI for Hbase?

Posted by bo zhaobo <bz...@gmail.com>.
Hi Hbase team,

  At first, I will continue to use this email thread  for clear the
misunderstandings, so I think leave it is OK for description.

  Some of you might see the related proposal in JIRA(
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-22468) already, but I still
want to raise it
to a wider audience and clarify some potential misunderstandings.

  I’m from OpenLab team(https://openlabtesting.org/ ,a community to do open
source project testing,
this is OpenLab charter:
https://github.com/theopenlab/governance/blob/master/CHARTER.md). One of
our goal is to make more opensource software
to be more compatible for AArch64 platforms. Hbase is the most popular data
store application in BigData area. we would like to propose to work on
AArch64 related works in Hbase. Also, you may saw my other team members
raise this topic on other apache BigData projects, please dont worry about
that.

  Even though OpenLab is a community to do open source project testing,
using OpenLab for testing AArch64 related works is not mandatory,
what we really want to do is to help build the AArch64 eco system in
BigData area. We have a developer team that willing to work on this and
we also have some AArch64 resources that we are willing to provide for
Hbase community to connect to the current CI system to perform related
testings.
If we already have a ARM related test(CI), such as Apache Jenkins(
https://builds.apache.org), but I find only 1 ARM resource(
https://builds.apache.org/computer/arm1/),
so I want to know the hbase community thought about doing AArch64 support,
each way is good, relies on your choice. ;-), now I can show below:
1. Introducing an new ARM CI(3rd party CI), which provided by OpenLab,
OpenLab will provide the ARM resources and people resources to develop and
maintain the CI status.
2. Still using the old CI(Apache Jenkins(https://builds.apache.org)),
OpenLab will provide more ARM resources to help test and build hbase on ARM
in the old development process. That means we can just provide the ARM
resources into your exist ARM test.
Notes: the ARM resources provided by OpenLab are Virtual Machines.

  Then, Rome wasn't built in a day, so we plan to start a simple target to
add AArch64 build job for Hbase, to verify Hbase can be
compiled on ARM successfully, OpenLab's developers will maintain build CI
jobs and address the CI issues, then we can add more complex test cases
on AArch64, like: unit tests and functional tests, step by step, it's a
long term works. Of course, welcome another developers join to maintain the
AArch64 CI.

Thanks for your attention.

bo zhaobo <bz...@gmail.com> 于2019年6月20日周四 上午10:29写道:

Posted by "Youngwoo Kim (김영우)" <yw...@apache.org>.
Zhaobo,

PMC members @Bigtop, they had a talk at the Linaro conf. I hope this helps
you to understand what they have done to support the AArch64[1][2] for
Bigtop.

Thanks,
Youngwoo

1. https://sched.co/LJq5