Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by DM...@simard.ca on 2020/04/08 22:54:59 UTC

randomely showing localhost IP in guacamole user history

Hi,

I have been trying to figure this one out for a while.
and I have already made many changes to allow for the x forward field (as
it does seem to work some of the time for some people).

Anyone have any suggestions to get a consistent result for the logs.

an example of catalina.out from tomcat would show for example

18:14:28.577 [http-bio-8080-exec-2804] INFO
o.a.g.r.auth.AuthenticationService - User "user1" successfully
authenticated from [202.202.202.202, 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1].
18:14:47.085 [http-bio-8080-exec-2900] INFO
o.a.g.r.auth.AuthenticationService - User "user1" successfully
authenticated from 202.202.202.202.

and in this case, maybe i'll see the real ip in the interface ..202....
or maybe i'll see 0:0:0.....

oddly enough for some users it will only show 2 lines of the real IP .

So if it works some of the time, the headers must be getting sent
correctly?
so the
must be working from nginx?

fyi, this would be nginex and tomcat on the same box.

/danielm

RE: randomely showing localhost IP in guacamole user history

Posted by Tushar Jain <tu...@hitachi.mgrmnet.com>.
Hi Daniel,

0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 is the loopback address for IPv6 as compared to 127.0.0.1 in IPv4. You may be getting this for the users who are trying to access guacamole from the same system where it is installed, and that too using either ‘localhost” or the loopback address.

You should try what Thiago mentioned and let us know the results.

From:        "Tushar Jain" <tushar.jain@hitachi.mgrmnet.com <ma...@hitachi.mgrmnet.com> >
To:        <user@guacamole.apache.org <ma...@guacamole.apache.org> >
Date:        04/09/20 09:00 AM

  _____

Please share the contents of nginx –guacamole-ssl file as well. Assuming there is nothing else configured on nginx like in default etc.

Please also share the 2 lines you are seeing against the real IP for some users.

Yes, as far as I can tell. I've gone through this so many times.
I thought also i needed to set maybe the 0:0:... address into the proxies also but that didnt seem to have any affect either.
The odd thing is it does work some of the time...
==
       <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.RemoteIpValve"
              internalProxies="127.0.0.1"
              remoteIpHeader="X-Forwarded-For"
              remoteIpProxiesHeader="X-Forwarded-By"
              protocolHeader="X-Forwarded-Proto" />
===

/danielm

From:        "Nick Couchman" < <ma...@apache.org> vnick@apache.org>
To:         <ma...@guacamole.apache.org> user@guacamole.apache.org
Date:        04/08/20 10:18 PM

  _____

So if it works some of the time, the headers must be getting sent correctly?
so the
must be working from nginx?

Have you also set the RemoteIPValve correctly in Tomcat?

http://guacamole.apache.org/doc/gug/proxying-guacamole.html#tomcat-remote-ip

-Nick

Disclaimer: This message and any attachment may contain confidential, proprietary information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the original intended recipient and have erroneously received this message, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. Hitachi MGRM Net E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. Hitachi MGRM Net therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required, please request a hard-copy version. Hitachi MGRM Net Ltd, C - 6/5, Safdarjung Development Area, New Delhi - 110016, India

'Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail'.

--

Ћiago ₢uz

--
**Disclaimer:* This message and any attachment may contain confidential,
proprietary information and is intended only for the individual named. If
you are not the original intended recipient and have erroneously received
this message, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.
Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this
e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. Hitachi MGRM Net
E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as
information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late
or incomplete, or contain viruses. Hitachi MGRM Net therefore does not
message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is
required, please request a hard-copy version. Hitachi MGRM Net Ltd, C -
6/5, Safdarjung Development Area, New Delhi - 110016, India*
*
*

Posted by Chris Misztur <cm...@mriiot.com>.
It's just strange that you're showing an IPv6 localhost IP.

*Chris *

Posted by Niubbo75 <a....@me.com.INVALID>.
Here's my Tomcat conf:

<Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.RemoteIpValve"
    internalProxies="127.0.0.1"
    remoteIpHeader="x-forwarded-for"
    remoteIpProxiesHeader="x-forwarded-by"
    protocolHeader="x-forwarded-proto" />

    directory="logs"
    prefix="localhost_access_log"
    suffix=".txt"
    pattern="%a Remote User[ %{X-Forwarded-For}i %l %u %t ] Request[ %r ]
Status Code[ %s ] Bytes[ %b ] Referer[ %{Referer}i ] Agent[ %{User-agent}i ]
" />

and in catalina.out I get correct remote & local IP (local IP do not use
nginx but connect directly to tomcat on port 8080) and in
localhost_access_log-* I get full detailed logs.

Alessandro

Re: randomely showing localhost IP in guacamole user history

Posted by DM...@simard.ca.
Thanks. seems to still be working for me still . here's hoping.

ALSO incase this helps, in my setup this was required to allow the correct
IP for the tomcat access logs . or else you end up with 127.0.0.1 as well
logging .

add                requestAttributesEnabled="true"       into the
org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve

directory="logs"
               requestAttributesEnabled="true"
               prefix="localhost_access_log." suffix=".txt"
               pattern="%h %l %u %t &quot;%r&quot; %s %b" />

/danielm

From:   "Niubbo75" <a....@me.com.INVALID>
To:     user@guacamole.apache.org
Date:   04/15/20 12:46 PM
Subject:        Re: randomely showing localhost IP in guacamole user
history

I'm glad you solve your issue too.
Yes I do have also IPv6 in my /etc/hosts (I'm on CentOS 7), this is the
default in modern OSes.
Bests,
Alessandro

--
Sent from:

Re: randomely showing localhost IP in guacamole user history

Posted by Niubbo75 <a....@me.com.INVALID>.
I'm glad you solve your issue too.
Yes I do have also IPv6 in my /etc/hosts (I'm on CentOS 7), this is the
default in modern OSes.
Bests,
Alessandro

Re: randomely showing localhost IP in guacamole user history

Posted by DM...@simard.ca.
Thanks Im trying that 1 change now "127.0.0.1" instead of"localhost" in
the nginx config,
proxy_pass http://127.0.0.1:8080/guacamole/;

come to think of it, this did seem like a resolution thing and I bet if
you check your

/etc/hosts
 file you will see localhost also in the IP6 section, which is odd since I
dont use IP6  . but it must have been there on default install.  So, its
probably internally resolving to the random ip it finds first.   (UBUNTU).

==================================

127.0.0.1       localhost
127.0.1.1       myhostnameHERE

::1     localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters

==================================

so far it looks to be working. last few tests only show ip4 .

/danielm

From:   "Niubbo75" <a....@me.com.INVALID>
To:     user@guacamole.apache.org
Date:   04/14/20 08:26 PM
history

Try to change localhost with 127.0.0.1 in your nginx.conf, this solve the
same issue for me.

Alessandro

--
Sent from:

Re: randomely showing localhost IP in guacamole user history

Posted by Thiago Cruz <th...@gmail.com>.
Daniel,

Posted by Thiago Cruz <th...@gmail.com>.
If you have a balancer I recommend adding into internalProxies
(internalProxies="127.0.0.1|<IP_BAL>"),
to get real client IP.

--
Ћiago ₢uz

Re: randomely showing localhost IP in guacamole user history

Posted by DM...@simard.ca.
i'm not actually sure. We are not using IP6 .
. the server only has 1 ip.

/danielm

Posted by Chris Misztur <cm...@mriiot.com>.

Posted by Niubbo75 <a....@me.com.INVALID>.
Hi Nick, I'm also intrested in this, I have try to set it but after tomcat
restart I get 502 on NGINX, so I think to do not have set Valve correctly in
tomcat 9, can you please clarify how to do that?
Here my nginx.conf, I have put all configuration in it just because I do not
have and I will not have any other websites to manage on this server:

https://pastebin.com/embed_js/3MmCKsw6

is it correct or not?

Where I have to put Valve config in tomcat 9?
Thanks,
Alessandro

Re: randomely showing localhost IP in guacamole user history

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.