Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Terry <te...@yahoo.com.au> on 2011/11/23 05:17:23 UTC

spam

I am receiving a constant stream of spam.  Does anyone NOT have this problem?

Any suggestions to minimise spam would be welcome.

Thanks, Terry

RE: spam

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <or...@msn.com>.
>From one of your friendly neighborhood moderators:

Postings to ooo-users from non-subscribers are moderated.  non-subscriber posts can be moderated individually or all future posts can be permitted (but it is not the same as being a subscriber).  Subscription requests are not moderated (unless I have forgotten moderating any).  However, a subscription can be closed and a subscriber can also be banned by a moderator.

 - Dennis

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
On 2011-11-23 11:47 AM, Dan Lewis wrote:
> public. Perhaps postings to this mailing list are also. That could be
> the source of the spam to your email account.
>
> --Dan

Yes, virtually all mailing lists at Apache are publicly archived, both
here at Apache and elsewhere.  See pointers to the archives here:

away in the near future.

- Shane

Re: spam

Posted by Dan Lewis <el...@gmail.com>.

Re: spam

Posted by Steve Ahlers <sa...@yahoo.com>.
Terry,

Re: spam

Posted by Terry <te...@yahoo.com.au>.
Yes.  The spam is received by the address I use solely for this list.  I have also received spam at an address I use for another list but nowhere near as much, probably because that list is less active.

Re: spam

Posted by Terry <te...@yahoo.com.au>.
Thanks for the replies.  I may switch to a different email provider.  Can't think of anything else.

Re: spam

Posted by Caesar <ca...@hiwaay.net>.
On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 22:58:24 -0600, Alexandro Colorado
<jz...@openoffice.org> wrote Re Re: spam:

>Are you getting spam from this list? I haven't experience any spam from
>this list.
>Regards.

Same here.  No spam at all.

Re: spam

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@openoffice.org>.

Re: spam

Posted by David B Teague sr <da...@comporium.net>.
On 11/22/2011 11:17 PM, Terry wrote:
> I am receiving a constant stream of spam.  Does anyone NOT have this problem?
>
> Any suggestions to minimise spam would be welcome.
>
> Thanks, Terry

Terry
I use an ISP that has spam detecting software, and keeps the offending
messages two or three weeks giving me the chance to look at the sources
and subjects and decide what I want to look at and then delete. The few
false negatives that get through are almost always detected by
Thunderbird's Bayesian Junk email detector. I does have to learn, but
the learning is quick.

There are other tools that I'm sure others on the list will describe.

David Teague

--
nil significat nisi oscillat

RE: spam

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <or...@msn.com>.
I have seen a small amount of spam that impersonates @penoffice.org lists, but are not from those lists.  None of these impersonate the @incubator.apache.org lists though.

In my case, the tip-off is that my spam filter, which has this and the other lists white-listed, does not pass the fakes.

I think some are concerned that their e-mail addresses have been harvested from the list archives, but that would not appear to be from the list unless that was part of the counterfeiting.

Administration of the @openoffice.org lists is not generally available to Apache.  However, there are means for banning @incubator.apache.org list subscriber whose account has become a source of spam.

 - Dennis

Re: spam

Posted by Terry <te...@yahoo.com.au>.