Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Zembower, Kevin" <kz...@jhuccp.org> on 2008/10/31 15:03:42 UTC

How to correct "containing working copy admin area is missing" error?

I'm experiencing an error similar to the ones you can find described in emails to this list at http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/SearchList?list=users&searchText=%22containing+working+copy+admin+area+is+missing%22&defaultField=subject&Search=Search

Specifically, this one seems closest to my problem: http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ReadMsg?listName=users&msgNo=75049. Unfortunately, there's no answer.

I was trying to do an 'in-place' importation of all the files in /usr/local/src/* on my host. I executed these commands successfully:
kevinz@centernet:/usr/local$ svn mkdir file:///var/lib/svn/usr_local_src -m"Subversion repository for /usr/local/src/*."

Committed revision 156.
kevinz@centernet:/usr/local$ cd src/
kevinz@centernet:/usr/local/src$ svn checkout file:///var/lib/svn/usr_local_src .
Checked out revision 156.
kevinz@centernet:/usr/local/src$ svn add *
A         catz
A         countPopular.pl
A         countPopular.pl,v
svn: Can't create directory 'dnstran1.5.2/.svn': Permission denied
kevinz@centernet:/usr/local/src$

At this point, I discovered that /usr/local/src/dnstran1.5.2/ was only writable by root, so I chgrp it to my group and made it writable by group and tried to continue:
kevinz@centernet:/usr/local/src$ sudo chgrp -R admin dnstran1.5.2
Password:
kevinz@centernet:/usr/local/src$ svn add *
svn: warning: 'catz' is already under version control
svn: warning: 'countPopular.pl' is already under version control
svn: warning: 'countPopular.pl,v' is already under version control
svn: warning: 'dnstran1.5.2' is already under version control
A         doc2html.cfg
A         doc2html.pl
<snip>
A         temp.html
kevinz@centernet:/usr/local/src$ svn commit -m"Initial check-in of /usr/local/src/*."
svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: Directory '/usr/local/src/dnstran1.5.2/.svn' containing working copy admin area is missing
kevinz@centernet:/usr/local/src$

At this point, I can't add it:
kevinz@centernet:/usr/local/src$ svn add dnstran1.5.2/*
svn: 'dnstran1.5.2' is not a working copy
svn: Can't open file 'dnstran1.5.2/.svn/entries': No such file or directory
kevinz@centernet:/usr/local/src$ svn add dnstran1.5.2
svn: warning: 'dnstran1.5.2' is already under version control
kevinz@centernet:/usr/local/src$

There is no .svn directory in the dnstran1.5.2 directory:
kevinz@centernet:/usr/local/src$ ls -laR dnstran1.5.2
dnstran1.5.2:
total 544
drwxrwxr-x 2 root admin   4096 Jun  2  2004 .
drwxrwsr-x 6 root admin   4096 Oct 31 10:20 ..
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root admin   7271 May  8  2002 README
-rwxrwxr-x 1 root admin 525520 Jun 21  2002 dnstran
-rw-r--r-- 1 root admin   2772 Jun  2  2004 dnstran.cfg
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root admin   2663 Jun 21  2002 dnstran.cfg.orig
kevinz@centernet:/usr/local/src$

I can't 'svn rm' it:
kevinz@centernet:/usr/local/src$ svn rm dnstran1.5.2
svn: Directory 'dnstran1.5.2/.svn' containing working copy admin area is missing
kevinz@centernet:/usr/local/src$

I can't check it out again, because it's never been checked in.

The only reference to it in Subversion seems to be in the file /usr/local/src/.svn/entries, where it appears. I'm hesitant to just edit it out of the file.

Can anyone with a more in-depth knowledge of Subversion advise me on how to proceed to fix this problem? My only thought is to remove all traces of .svn files and directories and re-import the whole lot.

Thanks so much for your suggestions and advice.

-Kevin

Kevin Zembower
Internet Services Group manager
Center for Communication Programs