Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Pat Farrell <pf...@pfarrell.com> on 2009/10/12 01:41:47 UTC

can *never* use merge with --reintegrate

I can't get merge tracking to work. Even if I start with an empty
branch, just created and a full "svn update" done on the branch, when I
try the merge command, it fails. Always, with the same message

svn merge --reintegrate  \ https://www.pfarrell.com/repos/bbook/branches/pat

svn: Cannot reintegrate from
'https://www.pfarrell.com/repos/bbook/branches/pat' yet:
Some revisions have been merged under it that have not been merged
into the reintegration target; merge them first, then retry.

The client is svn, version 1.5.4 (r33841)
the server is svn, version 1.5.1 (r32289)
and the repository have been updated to 1.5

What am I doing wrong?

thanks
pat

Re: can *never* use merge with --reintegrate

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 9:41 PM, Pat Farrell <pf...@pfarrell.com> wrote:
> I can't get merge tracking to work. Even if I start with an empty
> branch, just created and a full "svn update" done on the branch, when I
> try the merge command, it fails. Always, with the same message
>
> svn merge --reintegrate  \ https://www.pfarrell.com/repos/bbook/branches/pat
>
> svn: Cannot reintegrate from
> 'https://www.pfarrell.com/repos/bbook/branches/pat' yet:
> Some revisions have been merged under it that have not been merged
> into the reintegration target; merge them first, then retry.
>
> The client is svn, version 1.5.4 (r33841)
> the server is svn, version 1.5.1 (r32289)
> and the repository have been updated to 1.5
>
> What am I doing wrong?

You should upgrade your client to 1.5.7.  There were improvements made
to reintegrate in both 1.5.5 and 1.5.6.  The validity checking that is
blocking you was improved to be more intelligent and when it does
block you from using reintegrate it now gives a more detailed error
message with what you need to look at.

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/

Re: can *never* use merge with --reintegrate

Posted by Stein Somers <ss...@opnet.com>.
>> First prepare the branch for reintegration:
>>
>> 	svn co .../sandbox.../branches/pat pat
>> 	cd pat
>> 	svn merge .../sandbox.../trunk
>> 	svn commit
>
> You probably want to do an svn up here after the commit too.

And a "cd .." before going over to the trunk working copy.

--
Stein

RE: can *never* use merge with --reintegrate

Posted by Bob Archer <bo...@amsi.com>.
> > I'm in Ubuntu and yes, the current directory is
>
> I was referring to the strange backslash in your command. It couldn't
> be a
> Windows path anyway, that would have to appear after the URL.
>
> >> Reintegration is a stage after "genuine" merging. First you have to
> merge
> >> /trunk into /branches/pat, commit that (which in this case will only
> send a
> >> svn:mergeinfo attribute). Then reintegration should work.
> >
> > OK, so what are the steps, really. I find the RedBean on this
> terrible.
>
> First prepare the branch for reintegration:
>
> 	svn co .../sandbox.../branches/pat pat
> 	cd pat
> 	svn merge .../sandbox.../trunk
> 	svn commit

You probably want to do an svn up here after the commit too.

> Then reintegrate:
> 	svn co .../sandbox.../trunk trunk
> 	cd trunk
> 	svn merge --reintegrate .../sandbox.../branches/pat
>
> --
> Stein

BOb

Re: can *never* use merge with --reintegrate

Posted by Stein Somers <ss...@opnet.com>.

Posted by Pat Farrell <pf...@pfarrell.com>.
Stein Somers wrote:
>> I can't get merge tracking to work. Even if I start with an empty
>> branch, just created and a full "svn update" done on the branch, when I
>> try the merge command, it fails.
>>
>> svn merge --reintegrate  \ https://www.pfarrell.com/repos/bbook/branches/pat
>
> First of all, that command shows you're in Windows and the root of the
> current drive is a working copy set to /trunk, right?

I'm in Ubuntu and yes, the current directory is
.../sandbox.../trunk

> Reintegration is a stage after "genuine" merging. First you have to merge
> /trunk into /branches/pat, commit that (which in this case will only send a
> svn:mergeinfo attribute). Then reintegration should work.

OK, so what are the steps, really. I find the RedBean on this terrible.

first: make a branch

 svn copy https://www.pfarrell.com/repos/bbook/trunk \
           https://www.pfarrell.com/repos/bbook/branches/pat \
      -m "Creating a private branch of trunk for pat."

 Second, make changes to branch and commit

Third, do something, your "merge"
I'm not seeing this, if the trunk is fixed, why do some sort of merge of
trunk into branch?

Forth: reintegrate

http://www.pfarrell.com/

Re: can *never* use merge with --reintegrate

Posted by Stein Somers <ss...@opnet.com>.