Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Ben Souther <bs...@fwdco.com> on 2002/10/04 15:59:30 UTC

Interoperability and complex types

All the interoperability examples that I've seen on the web exchange simple
data types like Strings and Doubles.  Does anyone know of any examples that
exchange complex types like Beans.  If I map a return value to a Java Bean,
does that mean that only Java clients will be able to consume my web
services?
Any links to sites or book recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Interoperability and complex types

Posted by James Black <jb...@ieee.org>.
Ben Souther wrote:

> All the interoperability examples that I've seen on the web exchange simple
> data types like Strings and Doubles.  Does anyone know of any examples that
> exchange complex types like Beans.  If I map a return value to a Java Bean,
> does that mean that only Java clients will be able to consume my web
> services?
> Any links to sites or book recommendations would be appreciated.

  I use VS .NET for my C# clients, and I can pass arrays of beans around, and
they are also built up in C#.
  I would avoid using LinkedList and Vector, but bean[] works fine. <g>

Re: Interoperability and complex types

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
This is your lucky morning

>If I map a return value to a Java Bean,
>does that mean that only Java clients will be able to consume my web
>services?

No. If you create your own 'struct-like' class with getters and setters then
the far end will be able to do the same. Fancy java objects are different
matter, from java.io.File to java.util.HashTable. Avoid framework stuff,
roll your own datatypes.

>Any links to sites or book recommendations would be appreciated.

1. http://www.iseran.com/Steve/papers/interop/
2. http://www.manning.com/hatcher/index.html download chapter 15

-steve