Posted to wss4j-dev@ws.apache.org by Fred Dushin <fa...@apache.org> on 2008/04/15 01:50:42 UTC

WSS-54

Hi Ruchith,

Could I ask you to take a look at Colm's patch for WSS-54?

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WSS-54

I'm +1 on the change, but I see you had some important comments in the
Jira trail, and before committing the change (or asking you to), I'd
like to make sure you're in agreement with it.

Thanks!
-Fred

Wiki page for WSS4j 2.0 ideas [was: AW: 2.0 ideas]

Posted by "Dittmann, Werner (NSN - DE/Muenich)" <we...@nsn.com>.
All,

just to start the actions I've created some entries into the
WS-FX Wiki (inside the Apache Wiki farm). Here the link:

http://wiki.apache.org/ws/FrontPage/WsFx

At the bootom of the page you see the entires to two pagee. I've
populated these pages using input from Fred and George. Feel free
to add and discuss.

You need to register to be able to edit the pages (but this is
straightforward). You may also enable notification in case pages
changes. I haven't checked support for RSS :-)

Regards,
Werner

Re: 2.0 ideas [was: AW: WSS-54]

Posted by Fred Dushin <fa...@apache.org>.
I'm partial to the callback approach, myself.

I've been trying to think about a callback mechanism on the processing
side, as well.  I see we've gotten a few requests for being able to
track the data that's been signed or encrypted, and I think using
callbacks gives the user a lot more flexibility than by providing data
structures, after an event has occurred.

I definitely think we could do some cool stuff along those lines in 2.0.

-Fred

RE: 2.0 ideas [was: AW: WSS-54]

On Apr 15, 2008, at 6:35 AM, Dittmann, Werner (NSN - DE/Muenich) wrote:
> For the planned V2.0 :
> shall we start some e-mail thread (or using the wiki?) to gather some
> ideas and proposals what to address in V2.0?

Definitely a good idea -- email is fine by me, but if folks prefer the
wiki, that's fine by me, as well (as long as it supports RSS feeds :)

To seed the discussion, some things to consider in the near term might
be:

  * mavenize the build/test/deploy/release cycle
  * checkstyle/pmd the source tree
  * Split the build into a few components -- core, handler, and axis
come to mind
  * Port to 1.5 (using 1.5 language features -- this might be a problem
for some users)
  * OSGI bundling

Perhaps more controversial, and longer term:

  * Consider enhancements to the APIs
  * Support JAX-B generated types from WS-Security schema
  * Study feasibility of signature/encr without need for DOM (stax?)
  * Use WS-SecurityPolicy as a configuration API?

I'm sure there are lots more things we could do, but I'd like to start
out with a relatively small and achievable set.

-Fred

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

RE: 2.0 ideas [was: AW: WSS-54]

Posted by "O hEigeartaigh, Colm" <Co...@iona.com>.
For the 2.0 release, we should "officially" support the 1.1 version of
the UsernameToken, Message Protection and X.509 specifications.

I've already done a good bit of this for the 1.5.4 release, here's the
current status of things in a nutshell:

 - X.509 1.1: Currently supported.

 - Message Protection 1.1: Signature confirmation is possible atm, but a
small amount of work is required to tidy it up, test etc. Our support
for encrypted SOAP headers looks partial and is untested.

 - UsernameToken 1.1: Key derivation is partially supported, we don't
have any code for properly processing/caching nonces etc.

On top of this work, there's properly supporting and testing 1.1
functionality through the WSHandler architecture.

Colm.

2.0 ideas [was: AW: WSS-54]

Posted by Fred Dushin <fa...@apache.org>.

Re: WSS-54

Posted by Ruchith Fernando <ru...@gmail.com>.
+1

Revised patch looks good. IMHO delegating authentication to the
callback handler in the plain text case essential.

Thanks,
Ruchith

http://blog.ruchith.org
http://wso2.org