Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Anthony Baker <ab...@apache.org> on 2016/05/19 15:56:26 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Donation of GemFire native client code

I am pleased to announce the donation of additional GemFire client drivers
to the Geode community. This source code donation includes a C++ client and
a .NET client.

The C++ client allows an application to connect to a cluster using
intelligent network routing for low latency reads and writes.  The C++
client can additionally cache data locally and receive update notifications
or register continuous queries.  The .NET client wraps the C++ libraries
and enables .NET applications to be written for Geode.  Both of these
clients are functionally equivalatent to the already donated Java client
for Geode.

The Software Grant Agreement for this code has been accepted by the ASF
secretary.

The donated code currently sits in a separate branch in the Geode
repository named native-client-software-grant [1] and is awaiting community
review.  I encourage everyone in the Geode community to review this
donation and provide feedback.  In particular your input on build
improvements would be really helpful.  Once the community has reached a
consensus we can determine next steps and how this code might get merged
into the develop branch [2] so that all users can access these features.
Your suggestions are most welcome!

Thanks,
Anthony

[1]
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-geode.git;a=tree;f=geode-client-native;h=0fd3464f85be2dba96ad1c2692b4bc28b1df1d64;hb=refs/heads/native-client-software-grant
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GEODE-1416

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Donation of GemFire native client code

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 11:17 AM, Nitin Lamba <nl...@apache.org> wrote:
> Great news indeed!!
>
> Now that this code is on its way to be contributed, would it make sense to
> include node-gemfire <https://github.com/gemfire/node-gemfire> driver (BSD
> license) and manage it as part of Geode? Makes it a fairly compelling stack
> for javascript developers...

This is actually a great suggestion. In fact, last week I was at a web developer
conference where the need for a DB backend capable of continuous queries
emerged as one of the hot topics. RethinkDB is one such database (the other
one is http://www.postgresql.org/about/news/1596/ ). If Node/Geode integration
will be capable of supporting something like this it would be a great way to
get a whole new constituency.

In fact, to make it even more irresistible for app developers we could think
of integrating with Horizon https://horizon.io/ which would provide
one-of-a-kind
self-contained backend.

Turns out, today, the choice in something like this is super limited. As Horizon
README says:
    https://github.com/rethinkdb/horizon#how-is-horizon-different-from-firebase
the choice is basically limited to either Firebase or Meteor. We could do an
entirely alternative one!

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Donation of GemFire native client code

Posted by Nitin Lamba <nl...@apache.org>.
Great news indeed!!

Now that this code is on its way to be contributed, would it make sense to
include node-gemfire <https://github.com/gemfire/node-gemfire> driver (BSD
license) and manage it as part of Geode? Makes it a fairly compelling stack
for javascript developers...

Nitin

Posted by Anilkumar Gingade <ag...@pivotal.io>.