Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "David F. Skoll" <df...@roaringpenguin.com> on 2012/10/25 19:30:25 UTC

Dear Dfs (was Re: Question about rule: 2.0 DEAR_SOMETHING BODY: Contains 'Dear (something)')

On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 18:59:03 +0200
Simon Loewenthal <si...@klunky.co.uk> wrote:

> Except for formal letters to administrative addresses.
> Dear Bob was a frivolous and incorrect example. It is really Sir/Madam

Here's an argument for *not* making your email address "first@example.com",
"last@example.com" or something like that.

I believe an email to me starting "Dear Dfs," has 100% probability of
being spam.  If my email address were "david@roaringpenguin.com"
instead, I'd get a lot of FPs on "Dear David,"

So there you go... use obscure local parts in your email addresses. ;)

Regards,

David.

Re: Dear Dfs (was Re: Question about rule: 2.0 DEAR_SOMETHING BODY: Contains 'Dear (something)')

Posted by Adam Moffett <ad...@plexicomm.net>.
> Here's an argument for *not* making your email address "first@example.com",
> "last@example.com" or something like that.
>
> I believe an email to me starting "Dear Dfs," has 100% probability of
> being spam.  If my email address were "david@roaringpenguin.com"
> instead, I'd get a lot of FPs on "Dear David,"
>
> So there you go... use obscure local parts in your email addresses. ;)

I couldn't agree more.  I've always used my name and my wife has always
used a very long word from a fictional language.  She gets almost no
spam even without filtering.  I think she's somewhat immune to her
address being discovered by dictionary attacks.