Posted to odf-dev@incubator.apache.org by Svante Schubert <sv...@gmail.com> on 2017/09/15 10:43:34 UTC

[DISCUSSION] Change repository from SUBVERSION to GIT

This is the last project of mine that is using subversion and it would help
me a lot (and all others I have talked to) if we could transform the source
repository from svn to git.
Especially, as I a plan to work on a feature branch (the ODF changes
features), which works best to when working with git.

If no one else would be able to do it, I would do the work. :)

Any feedback is welcome!
Svante
ᐧ

Re: [DISCUSSION] Change repository from SUBVERSION to GIT

Posted by Tom Barber <to...@spicule.co.uk>.
I think git is a good idea, you might even be able to ask for a gitbox repo
which resides on github, either gitbox or not, it would allow users to push
to a github repo alongside the git.wip repo(if its non gitbox) which
increases the chances of 3rd party contributions and exposure for non ASF
people.

On Sat, Sep 16, 2017 at 12:39 PM, Svante Schubert <svante.schubert@gmail.com

Posted by Joern Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
OpenNLP migrated the site to git as well.

People strongly preferred to use git instead of subversion in our case.
The site is now updated by merging PRs to its master branch.

Jörn

Posted by Svante Schubert <sv...@gmail.com>.
Hello Ian,

Posted by Ian C <ia...@amham.net>.

--
Cheers,

Ian C

Re: [DISCUSSION] Change repository from SUBVERSION to GIT

Posted by Svante Schubert <sv...@gmail.com>.
Thank you, Michael, for your detailed analysis.

From the yet given feedback, I would suggest the following to ask for in a
ticket to Apache infrastructure:

We move on with two git repositories.

   1. One for the Apache website "/site" and
   2. the other with everything that is yet under "trunk" and already the
   base from our GitHub copy.

In Subversion, the tags are just directory with all sources being copied as
a snap-shot and should be integrated within GIT as "git tags".
The "pmc" seems no longer needed and the "documents/" seems outdated.
Although we should make sure to move the latest ODT version of the Simple
API cookbook to the website as a download.

In addition, we should explicitly ask in the upcoming INFRA ticket (see
this ticket from Ticka for example
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-11092>) to rename the trunk
branch to master and mention your post in case they do not know it:
http://www.sailmaker.co.uk/blog/2013/05/05/migrating-
from-svn-to-git-preserving-branches-and-tags-3/

As Tom mentioned, it would be good to be able to receive patches from
GitHub pull requests to increase visibility by none Apache people.

Hope you are all at the start of a great week!
Svante

ᐧ

Posted by Michael Stahl <ms...@redhat.com>.