Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Sanjay Subramanian <Sa...@wizecommerce.com> on 2013/09/17 21:10:43 UTC

Hiveserver2 Authentication (openLDAP) and Authorization (using Sentry)

Hi guys

************************************************************************************************************************************
DISCLAIMER
==========
I have no affiliations to Cloudera and I am writing this mail of my own free will, with the hope to help fellow Hive users who will be implementing security around Hive
************************************************************************************************************************************

I have implemented Hiveserver2 Authentication (openLDAP)  and Authorization (using Cloudera Sentry).

I am super-excited because we know can open our Hive Data Platform in "read only" mode to remote clients in the company and SAS clients !

We are using Cloudera Manager Standard distribution (still can't afford support costs !)

Thanks

Sanjay

The stack I am planning to push to production after my hive/yarn/oozie tests succeed are as follows

Group 1 (CDH4)
Hosts
dev-thdp5.corp.nextag.com
Component       Version CDH Version
Impala  1.1.1   Not applicable
Yarn (CDH4 only)        2.0.0+1475      CDH4
HDFS (CDH4 only)        2.0.0+1475      CDH4
Hue Plugins     2.5.0+139       CDH4
Sqoop2 (CDH4 only)      1.99.2+85       CDH4
MapReduce 2 (CDH4 only) 2.0.0+1475      CDH4
HBase   0.94.6+132      CDH4
HCatalog (CDH4 only)    Unavailable     Not installed or path incorrect
Oozie   3.3.2+92        CDH4
Zookeeper       3.4.5+23        CDH4
Hue     2.5.0+139       CDH4
MapReduce 1 (CDH4 only) 2.0.0+1475      CDH4
Pig     0.11.0+33       CDH4
HttpFS (CDH4 only)      2.0.0+1475      CDH4
Hadoop  2.0.0+1475      CDH4
Hive    0.10.0+198      CDH4
Lily HBase Indexer (CDH4 only)  1.2+2   CDH4
Solr (CDH4 only)        4.4.0+69        CDH4
Flume NG        1.4.0+23        CDH4
Java    java version "1.6.0_31" Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_31-b04) Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.6-b01, mixed mode)     Not applicable
Cloudera Manager Agent  4.7.0   Not applicable

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This email message and any attachments are for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message along with any attachments, from your computer system. If you are the intended recipient, please be advised that the content of this message is subject to access, review and disclosure by the sender's Email System Administrator.