Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jan Evert van Grootheest <j....@euronext.nl> on 2003/09/24 15:03:23 UTC

issue tracker

Hello,

I've just spend some time using the issue tracker and really feel the
need to complain about it.

First of all, it pops up all the time when it has finished loading a
page. It is not too fast, so I go off reading some other page. It is
really annoying to find this thing pop into my face all the time.
(this is with internet explorer on a WinXP machine)

Second, how is one to enter a new issue? It is not described anywhere.
Not even something like login first then go there and click this.

-- Jan Evert

Re: issue tracker

Posted by Jack Repenning <jr...@collab.net>.
At 5:03 PM +0200 9/24/03, Jan Evert van Grootheest wrote:

>Second, how is one to enter a new issue? It is not described
>anywhere. Not even something like login first then go there and
>click this.

Log in first, then click the link named "New".
--
-==-
Jack Repenning

Re: issue tracker

Posted by Jan Hendrik <ja...@bigfoot.com>.
Concerning Re: issue tracker
SteveKing wrote on 25 Sep 2003, 12:59, at least in part:

> [...]

Haven't followed this thread too closely, but with Opera I noticed
that I can scroll the pages at tigris only as long as they still load.
Afterwards I have to left-click into the browser window 1-6 times
before scrolling is possible again.

Jan Hendrik

> So if you're logged in the windows won't come to front automatically
> anymore...

> Stefan

---------------------------------------
Freedom quote:

     There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for
     what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him.
               -- Robert Heinlein

---------------------------------------
Mailed with Pegasus Mail 3.12c (32bit).
Never heard of it?
Easy to use, full featured - and freely available.
And *no* automatic virus activation and spreading.
Take a look at http://www.pmail.com
Give it a try - and you'll never miss anything else.

Re: issue tracker

Posted by SteveKing <st...@tigris.org>.

Re: issue tracker

Posted by Michael Wood <mw...@its.uct.ac.za>.

Re: issue tracker

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Re: issue tracker

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com>.
Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> pll@lanminds.com writes:
>
>>>so I go off reading some other page. It is
>>>really annoying to find this thing pop into my face all the time.
>
> I've never heard of such a thing with any browser.  I don't even
> understand: you start a page loading, and when it's done loading, it
> pops up in front of your existing window?  That sounds like a
> ridiculous IE bug.   Certainly has nothing to do with the issuetracker
> or tigris.org.  We don't display 'popup' windows.

Your indignation is justified, but unwarranted Microsoft-bashing is not.  The pop-up behaviour is much more likely to be a well thought-out and useful feature of MSIE, with an option to disable it if you don't want it.

- Julian

Re: issue tracker

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
pll@lanminds.com writes:

> >It is not too fast,
>
> A combination of old, slow hardware and old, bloated software.  Some
> day they'll get the cycles to upgrade to new, fast hardware, and new,
> streamlined software.  Until then, we all just need to deal with it.

Um, are you guys aware that tigris.org just got a huge hardware and
software upgrade last week?  The issuetracker is now faster than I've
ever seen (in the last three years.)

> >so I go off reading some other page. It is
> >really annoying to find this thing pop into my face all the time.

I've never heard of such a thing with any browser.  I don't even
understand: you start a page loading, and when it's done loading, it
pops up in front of your existing window?  That sounds like a
ridiculous IE bug.   Certainly has nothing to do with the issuetracker
or tigris.org.  We don't display 'popup' windows.

Re: issue tracker

Posted by pl...@lanminds.com.
In a message dated: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 17:03:23 +0200
Jan Evert van Grootheest said:

>Hello,
>
>I've just spend some time using the issue tracker and really feel the
>need to complain about it.

Join the club.  However, be aware, those maintaining the web site are
far too familiar with such complaints, and are well aware of the
problems.  They currently don't have the time or resources to fix the
root cause of the problems (so I'm led to believe), but they do
promise that one day, when round tuits are more plentiful, we'll all
reap the rewards of a much improved site :)

Please be patient, their time must be spent either on hacking svn, or
hacking on the web site.  Guess which one most people want them
spending their time on
:)

>First of all, it pops up all the time when it has finished loading a  page.

This is purely a function of you web browser, and can not be blamed
on the site.

>(this is with internet explorer on a WinXP machine)

I rest my case.  Get yourself a real browser.  IE is perhaps the
worst example of what a browser should be in all the extremes.
Use Opera if you must stay on Windows, but ideally, switch to a Mac
or other UNIX based OS and use any of the dozens of freely available
browsers for these systems.
(I recommend Opera though, regardless of your OS, unless you're
inclined to much about with a bunch of open source stuff which may or
may not easily work.  If you are, my favorite is Galeon, which rides
on top of Mozilla).

>It is not too fast,

A combination of old, slow hardware and old, bloated software.  Some
day they'll get the cycles to upgrade to new, fast hardware, and new,
streamlined software.  Until then, we all just need to deal with it.

Hey, it's free, what more do you want? :)

>so I go off reading some other page. It is
>really annoying to find this thing pop into my face all the time.

Again, a function of your browser.  For me, I read another page in a
different tab, and the svn site loads silently in it's tab.
Eventually I'll remember it's there, and go back to look at it.
(Does IE even support "tabbed browsing"?  It didn't last I checked.)

>Second, how is one to enter a new issue? It is not described anywhere.
>Not even something like login first then go there and click this.

I believe you need to have a Tigris account.  Once you do, and you
log it, a link appears to enter new issues.  If you don't have an
account, you need to get one.

And yes, we've all heard before how horrible it is to have to have an
account on a site just to enter a bug report.  The site maintainers
are well aware of that complaint too :)

I hope this was somewhat helpful.
--
Seeya,
Paul

GPG Key fingerprint = 1660 FECC 5D21 D286 F853  E808 BB07 9239 53F1 28EE