Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Andrey Kuznetsov <st...@gmail.com> on 2017/12/14 10:50:10 UTC

Switching Java language level to 8

Hi Igniters,

As far as I know, we planned to get the project compilable/runnable on Java
9 and then switch to Java 8 language features. But some tickets like [1]
require Java 8 to be fixed. It seems we are to switch source level of the
project to 1.8 first.

Thoughts?

Best regards,
  Andrey Kuznetsov.

Re: Switching Java language level to 8

Posted by Sergey Kozlov <sk...@gridgain.com>.
Hi Denis

Filed the ticket [1]

1. IGNITE-7216 Refactor examples project
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-7216>

--
Sergey Kozlov
GridGain Systems

Re: Switching Java language level to 8

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.
Yuri, Sergey,

These are all good points! Please create sub-tasks fro this umbrella tickets (one for ML and the other for examples):
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-7203 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-7203>

Posted by Sergey Kozlov <sk...@gridgain.com>.
Hi

Posted by Yury Babak <y....@gmail.com>.
Hi,

currently we use maven profile "ml" for all ML sources. So during this
switching we could remove this profile and add ML module to the normal build
chain.

NB: we use this hack in example and yardstick modules. Also in examples we
have the separate source folder(and profile) for non-ml java 8 examples.
From my point of view we dont need the separete source folders any more, so
all sources must be moved into "normal" folder(/src/main/java).

Regards,
Yury

Re: Switching Java language level to 8

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.
Yury,

As a ML component maintainer, please join this conversation.

Now there are some hacks in our build system because of ML that was always JDK 8 dependent. What needs to be done to obliterate the hacks and simplify the ML assembly? This should be done as a part of the activity initiated by Petr.

—
Denis

Posted by Anton Vinogradov <av...@gridgain.com>.
Correct :)

Posted by Petr Ivanov <mr...@gmail.com>.
Sorry, I meant IGNITE-7203.

Posted by vveider <mr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dmitry Pavlov <dp...@gmail.com>.
+1 Java 8 has a lot of APIs, we sometimes need it to improve our
performance.

Posted by Дмитрий Рябов <so...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Anton Vinogradov <av...@apache.org>.