Posted to user@storm.apache.org by pubudu gunawardena <pu...@gmail.com> on 2015/10/01 12:14:41 UTC

A Question Regarding Storm Starter

Hi All,

I am using storm
starter(https://github.com/apache/storm/tree/master/examples/storm-starter)
as a base for implementing a trending count and have a small question
about the functionality. I will try to explain my question using an
example. Let's say that we are doing a trending word count and the
following happened.

For the first say, 10 seconds only the word "java' is emitted from the
spout. This will result in Java being ranked top in the top trending
count. Next, let's say that the spout stopped emitting the word "java"
and started to emit different words. This will remove the word java
from the respective intermediate ranking bolt(since it will rank other
words as top 5). In other words, the intermediate bolt won't emit the
information that the count for java went to zero.

It seems to me that due to this reason, the TotalRankingsBolt will
continue to keep the word java as the top ranked.

If this is the case there is a problem with the algorithm. Can someone
confirm this or point out to me if I'm wrong?

Pubudu