Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2014/04/07 11:39:48 UTC

Retired podlings - should SVN trees be moved under a RETIRED subtree?

I made a start adding RETIRED markers to retired podlings, but stalled
because updates are needed to the svn mailer configuration and then
authorization.

However it now occurs to me that it might be easier to navigate the
incubator svn tree if the retired podling svn trees were moved under
incubator/RETIRED instead.

i.e.

incubator/alois=> incubator/RETIRED/alois

This would have some advantages:
- the top-level incubator/ tree would only show current podlings (and
lazy graduates!).
- it would be obvious which SVN trees were retired without needing to
open the sub-tree
- it might make it simpler to set up the correct svn mailer/auth permissions

The main disadvantage that I can see is that the SVN URL in the status
file would be incorrect. This could of course be corrected.

Thoughts?

Re: Retired podlings - should SVN trees be moved under a RETIRED subtree?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 7 April 2014 15:43, Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com> wrote:

> On Apr 7, 2014, at 2:39 AM, sebb wrote:
>
>> I made a start adding RETIRED markers to retired podlings, but stalled
>> because updates are needed to the svn mailer configuration and then
>> authorization.
>>
>> However it now occurs to me that it might be easier to navigate the
>> incubator svn tree if the retired podling svn trees were moved under
>> incubator/RETIRED instead.
>>
>> i.e.
>>
>> incubator/alois=> incubator/RETIRED/alois
>>
>> This would have some advantages:
>> - the top-level incubator/ tree would only show current podlings (and
>> lazy graduates!).
>
> Good.
>
>> - it would be obvious which SVN trees were retired without needing to
>> open the sub-tree
>
> Good.
>
>> - it might make it simpler to set up the correct svn mailer/auth permissions
>
> I don't have an opinion on this.

It should allow fixed rules for SVN:
- mailer: always send RETIRED changes to cvs@incubator
- auth: always allow IPMC and members RW access to subtrees of RETIRED

>> The main disadvantage that I can see is that the SVN URL in the status
>> file would be incorrect. This could of course be corrected.
>
> I think this is a fair tradeoff against the benefits above.

Any other views?

Does this need an IPMC vote?
If so, I'll start one if there are no immediate objections.

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
On Apr 7, 2014, at 2:39 AM, sebb wrote:

> I made a start adding RETIRED markers to retired podlings, but stalled
> because updates are needed to the svn mailer configuration and then
> authorization.
>
> However it now occurs to me that it might be easier to navigate the
> incubator svn tree if the retired podling svn trees were moved under
> incubator/RETIRED instead.
>
> i.e.
>
> incubator/alois=> incubator/RETIRED/alois
>
> This would have some advantages:
> - the top-level incubator/ tree would only show current podlings (and
> lazy graduates!).

Good.

> - it would be obvious which SVN trees were retired without needing to
> open the sub-tree

Good.