Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net> on 2002/08/09 22:18:07 UTC

Subversion 0.14.1 released

Subversion 0.14.1, our first post-Alpha interim release, is available
at:

 http://subversion.tigris.org/files/documents/15/690/subversion-r2927.tar.gz

Please give it a whirl.  It's mostly bugfixes, plus a few enhancements
to existing features.

This release does not require that repositories be upgraded (i.e.,
dumped/reloaded), but note that the next interim release probably
will, as we expect to merge the issue #842 changes from branch to
trunk soon.

-Karl

Here's the relevant bit from the CHANGES file:

--------------------8-<-------cut-here---------8-<-----------------------

Version 0.14.1 [Alpha Interim 1] (released 9 August 2002, revision 2927)

 User-visible changes:
 * show copy-ancestry in 'svn log -v'
 * 'svn co' can take multiple URLs now
 * new 'svn ls' command
 * new 'svn st --no-ignore' option
 * new 'svn --version --quiet' option
 * more conservative 'svn help' usage error-message
 * more graceful degradation from charset conversion failure
 * standardize policy of -q switch behavior
 * less intimidating error output
 * new SVNParentPath directive for mod_dav_svn <Location>s
 * svnlook now correctly displays copied subtrees
 * Handbook: additions, tweaks, cleanups, and new French Translation :-)
 * svn_load_dirs.pl: auto propset on files matching specified regex, bug fixes

 Developer-visible changes:
 * integrated the delta-combiner! (issue #531)
 * integration of libsvn_wc-baton-locking branch (issue #749)
 * new "skip-deltas" added to delta-combiner
 * properly URI-encode/decode path components throughout our code
 * RA->do_diff() made independent from RA->do_switch().
 * stricter setting/parsing of svn:mime-type property in client and server.
 * new 'install-static' make target
 * extend SWIG bindings to libsvn_wc and libsvn_client
 * BerkeleyDB usage tweaking:  in preparation for auto-recovery features.
 * work on #850 (.dsp generator)
 * Better support for incremental dumps (see revision 2920)
 * started fs branch work on #842 (copyID inheritance), #830 (copies of
   copies), #790 (copy table uses txnID), #815 (custom sorting)
 * numerous bugfixes: #709 (better error handling), #813/814
   (apr_filepath_merge), #685 (showing dir propdiffs), OS X dumper
   bugfix, #561 (property conflict detection), mod_dav_svn path bugs,
   svn_wc_status() bugs, path canonicalization bugs, #816 (svn log  -r),
   #843 (URL keyword), #846 (kind-change replacement), #809 ($EDITOR dir),
   #855 (module updates not cooperating with new wc access batons),
   improvements to test suite sensitivity,

Re: Subversion 0.14.1 released

Posted by cm...@collab.net.
Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net> writes:

> Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net> writes:
> >  http://subversion.tigris.org/files/documents/15/690/subversion-r2927.tar.gz
> >
> > Please give it a whirl.  It's mostly bugfixes, plus a few enhancements
> > to existing features.
>
> By the way, you may have difficulties building this tarball on
> Windows, due to Windows requiring apr-iconv to build, even though i18n
> still won't work there.  Sorry about that :-(.  Hopefully one of the
> generous souls who usually posts Windows tarballs with all the
> dependencies included will do that for this one?
>
> In general, we need to solve the APR xlation situation for Windows.  I
> *thought* we had an issue filed somewhere describing the details of
> this, but just now when went to look for it, I couldn't find it.  Does
> anyone have that marvellous summary email Brane sent a while back,
> saying what's broken and the options for fixing?  It included some
> patches, too, I believe.  I thought I had filed it as an issue, but
> apparently not, duh.

The subject line was: "Re: Alpha on Win32 without UTF8 conversion"

(I'd past the mail there, but my gnus destroys MIME attachments, and
that mail had one).

Re: Subversion 0.14.1 released

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net> writes:
>  http://subversion.tigris.org/files/documents/15/690/subversion-r2927.tar.gz
>
> Please give it a whirl.  It's mostly bugfixes, plus a few enhancements
> to existing features.

By the way, you may have difficulties building this tarball on
Windows, due to Windows requiring apr-iconv to build, even though i18n
still won't work there.  Sorry about that :-(.  Hopefully one of the
generous souls who usually posts Windows tarballs with all the
dependencies included will do that for this one?

In general, we need to solve the APR xlation situation for Windows.  I
*thought* we had an issue filed somewhere describing the details of
this, but just now when went to look for it, I couldn't find it.  Does
anyone have that marvellous summary email Brane sent a while back,
saying what's broken and the options for fixing?  It included some
patches, too, I believe.  I thought I had filed it as an issue, but
apparently not, duh.

We should get this stuff solved by 0.14.3, I think.

-Karl

Re: Subversion 0.14.1 released

Posted by Daniele Nicolodi <da...@grinta.net>.
On Sat, Aug 10, 2002 at 01:34:07PM -0400, Alexy Khrabrov wrote:

> Why not educate the world in the ways of Subversion from the very start?
> As Chekhov said, "a theatre starts with the coat check-in."  Similarly,
> a distribution starts with the name of the tarball or RPM.  Why not say,
> It's Subversion 2927 released!  And a few weeks later, 3000!  People
> will think, now, wow, that's some rapid application development!
> (How is 0.14.1 is computed from 2927 anyways?  Does someone keep a
> secret CVS copy ?:-)

I can try to explain that in my poor englis.

The subversion repository version number has nothing to do with the
status of the development of the content of the repository. That number
could be also a string, using progresive numbers is only for human
readability and for simpe processing. That number is also incremented
when a change in maded in a branc or a tag is created.

The release version instead indicate the progres of the development of
an application. In our case we have chosen a tree number version string:
 - the first indicate the major version, is incremented when a big and
possibility uncompatible change is included in the new release
 - the second idicate the minor version, is incremented when a prefixed
goal in the development is reached (0.14 is our alpha stage)
 - the third indicate the micro version or the patch version, is
incremented when a release is done but there isn't any big change or we
aren't in one of the previus cases.

Also the CVS revision number of a file has nothing to do with the status
of the development of an application, because it is file specific and no
project specific.

Ciao
--
Daniele