Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Linda Hull <ch...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/22 01:22:10 UTC

CSV format Not Present in AOO 4.1.1?

I want to open my data in Calc, but while it sees myfilename.txt It's not
offering me the CSV to open it as, and otherwise it wants to open it in
Writer, which is not what I want at all.

I cleaned a list of data, and added commas between sets of information, and
now I want to open it in Calc and sort it, making pretty spreadsheet.

Maybe I'm forgetting a step, or steps? I'm pretty tired but need to finish
this.

Grateful for your help!

Linda

Re: CSV format Not Present in AOO 4.1.1?

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
On Saturday, March 21, 2015 08:22:10 PM Linda Hull wrote:
> I want to open my data in Calc, but while it sees myfilename.txt It's not
> offering me the CSV to open it as, and otherwise it wants to open it in
> Writer, which is not what I want at all.
>
> I cleaned a list of data, and added commas between sets of information, and
> now I want to open it in Calc and sort it, making pretty spreadsheet.
>
> Maybe I'm forgetting a step, or steps? I'm pretty tired but need to finish
> this.
>
> Grateful for your help!
>
> Linda

Hi Linda, please check my video tutorial so you can see how csv works with
OpenOffice Calc.

https://www.screenr.com/YgvN

In the video I create a csv from scratch, I also open it from Calc, and I
create a csv in Calc to save it to disk and then open it.

Please try it and let me know. Remember a csv file is a text file, for more
information about how to configure csv file I recommend you this link from the
OpenOffice manual:

Re: CSV format Not Present in AOO 4.1.1?

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 17:36 22/03/2015 +0100, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>Note that this is the key issue: you need to use File - Open within
>Calc, not from Writer or from the generic splash screen. Otherwise
>(unless you select the filter properly in the long drop-down) the
>file will open in Writer as Linda reports.

Sorry, but may I suggest that this betrays a misunderstanding of how
OpenOffice works? Unlike, say, Microsoft Office, OpenOffice is an
integrated suite and you are never exactly "within Calc" or coming
"from Writer". As far as the behaviour of File | Open... is
concerned, it is entirely unaffected by whether you happen to have a
text document or a spreadsheet document open (or another type, or
none of these) when you invoke it. The "key issues" here are the
extension to the file name, the actual contents of the file, and the
"Files of type" selection in the Open dialogue.

Some behaviour does depend on context, of course - and this may
include what type of document you have in focus. This includes the
section in which the help system opens as well as the sections
available in Tools | Options. But opening document files is
independent of any other document(s) you may have open at the time.

Brian Barker

Re: CSV format Not Present in AOO 4.1.1?

Posted by Linda Hull <ch...@gmail.com>.
It's actually there, in the dropdown menu. I was tired and  looking for
something that started with 'C' not "Text CSV (*,csv *.txt)". There are a
whole lot of different things there! If I hadn't been so exhausted, it
would have been easy.

All's well that ends well!

Thank you! Every single one of you that replied, both privately and in this
list.

Linda

Posted by Josef Latt <Jo...@gmx.net>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 22/03/2015 Rory O'Farrell wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Mar 2015 20:22:10 -0400 Linda Hull wrote:
>> I want to open my data in Calc, but while it sees myfilename.txt
> To Open a Text CSV File in Calc
> 1. Choose File - Open.

Note that this is the key issue: you need to use File - Open within
Calc, not from Writer or from the generic splash screen. Otherwise
(unless you select the filter properly in the long drop-down) the file
will open in Writer as Linda reports.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: CSV format Not Present in AOO 4.1.1?

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
Linda Hull <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to open my data in Calc, but while it sees myfilename.txt It's not
> offering me the CSV to open it as, and otherwise it wants to open it in
> Writer, which is not what I want at all.
>
> I cleaned a list of data, and added commas between sets of information, and
> now I want to open it in Calc and sort it, making pretty spreadsheet.
>
> Maybe I'm forgetting a step, or steps? I'm pretty tired but need to finish
> this.
>
> Grateful for your help!
>
> Linda

The Calc Help file says
To Open a Text CSV File in Calc
1. Choose File - Open.
2. Locate the CSV file that you want to open.
If the file has a *.csv extension, select the file.
If the CSV file has another extension, select the file, and then select "Text CSV" in the File type box
3. Click Open.
The Text Import dialogue box opens.
4. Specify the options to divide the text in the file into columns.
You can preview the layout of the imported data at the bottom of the Text Import dialogue box.
Right-click a column in the preview to set the format or to hide the column.

Mark the text delimiter check box that matches the character used as text delimiter in the file. In case of an unlisted delimiter, type the character into the input box.

5. Click OK.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>