Posted to users@camel.apache.org by Bee1000 <ri...@hotmail.com> on 2010/04/11 18:06:56 UTC

Recommended CSV component?

What is the best component to use for producing CSV (actually || separated)
files?  Is it bindy or flatpack?

I had to add some features to the underlying commons CSV library for the CSV
component in order to meet my needs.  Namely, I added the ability to specify
a String for the file field separator so you can use more than single
character separators.  I also added the ability to include a header line in
the file and to specify the default value for "null" columns.

I would be happy to contribute these changes back to Commons CSV, but that
project has not been touched in a couple of years, so I thought there might
be a better option.

Re: Recommended CSV component?

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 6:06 PM, Bee1000 <ri...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> What is the best component to use for producing CSV (actually || separated)
> files?  Is it bindy or flatpack?
>
> I had to add some features to the underlying commons CSV library for the CSV
> component in order to meet my needs.  Namely, I added the ability to specify
> a String for the file field separator so you can use more than single
> character separators.  I also added the ability to include a header line in
> the file and to specify the default value for "null" columns.
>
> I would be happy to contribute these changes back to Commons CSV, but that
> project has not been touched in a couple of years, so I thought there might
> be a better option.
> --

Yeah commons-csv and flatpack is most likely dead projects.
And I guess developing on a CSV project is not as sexy as what else is
possible to do today.

At least with camel-bindy you can contribute patches and we can have
them committed into the codebase.
So if either commons CSV or flatpack does not work for you I will
suggest to look at bindy.

And if you embark on the OSGi wagon then either one or both of those
doesn't work in OSGi land.

Another project is Smooks which should also be good for CSV. So that
would also be an option to look at.

Claus Ibsen
Apache Camel Committer

Blog: http://davsclaus.blogspot.com/