Posted to dev@nuttx.apache.org by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com> on 2022/01/11 21:55:03 UTC

Re: kconfig-frontends upstream

On Sat, Oct 16, 2021 at 8:19 AM Tomasz CEDRO <to...@cedro.info> wrote:

> Hello Yann,
>
> You are marked as the author of the kconfig-frontends in a release
> package AUTHORS file. This package is a core dependency of the NuttX
> RTOS. It seems that development of the package has been abandoned..?
>
> Can you please confirm if the maintenance of the package has been
> abandoned? If true can we pass maintenance of the package to a new
> person / organization? If not could you please provide current project
> git repository and upstream location?
>
> There are some patches that we would like to add, as well as support
> for build on FreeBSD OS. So far, except NuttX, also Debian and
> Espressif make their own releases based on the past releases:
>
> https://github.com/espressif/kconfig-frontends
> https://packages.debian.org/stable/kconfig-frontends
>
> Best regards :-)
> Tomek CEDRO
>
> --
> CeDeROM, SQ7MHZ, http://www.tomek.cedro.info

Did we ever hear back from Yann MORIN about the current status of
Kconfig-frontends?

Thanks,
Nathan

Re: kconfig-frontends upstream

Posted by Tomasz CEDRO <to...@cedro.info>.
On Tue, Jan 11, 2022 at 10:55 PM Nathan Hartman wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 16, 2021 at 8:19 AM Tomasz CEDRO  wrote:
> > Hello Yann,
> > You are marked as the author of the kconfig-frontends in a release
> > package AUTHORS file. This package is a core dependency of the NuttX
> > RTOS. It seems that development of the package has been abandoned..?
> > Can you please confirm if the maintenance of the package has been
> > abandoned? If true can we pass maintenance of the package to a new
> > person / organization? If not could you please provide current project
> > git repository and upstream location?
> > There are some patches that we would like to add, as well as support
> > for build on FreeBSD OS. So far, except NuttX, also Debian and
> > Espressif make their own releases based on the past releases:
> > https://github.com/espressif/kconfig-frontends
> > https://packages.debian.org/stable/kconfig-frontends
> > Best regards :-)
> > Tomek CEDRO
>
> Did we ever hear back from Yann MORIN about the current status of
> Kconfig-frontends?
> Thanks,
> Nathan

Hello Nathan :-)

Negative, no response from Yann.

But I am in contact with philou@debian.org that manager Linux/Debian
packages + local source code fork. We may use that Linux repo as
current upstream.. or create some sort of official repo under NuttX
brand?

Also Espressif team is kind and responsive regarding their fork but it
seems to have diverged and it would need some extra work to be merged
back into the upstream.. it also uses cmake to build only a part of
the code that is actively developed and used by ESP IDF.

FreeBSD port uses NuttX repository source package of kconfig-frontends.

The floor is yours to decide :-)

Best regards :-)
Tomek

ps/2: genromfs is also in the FreeBSD ports already :-)