Posted to p-dev@xerces.apache.org by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com> on 2002/12/09 20:52:25 UTC

[Announce]: XML-Xerces-2.0.0-2

Hey All,

This is a minor update. It simply fixes all the tests, and forces them
to use Test::More. The other fix is DOMNode operator!= is supported
(it got accidentally dropped).

Cheers,
jas.

PS. Available at:

  http://xml.apache.org/dist/xerces-p/stable/

Re: XML-Xerces-2.0.0-3 on Windows

Posted by Martin Raspe <ra...@uni-trier.de>.
David Starks-Browning wrote:
> On Friday 7 Mar 03, Martin Raspe writes:
>
>>... I had to insert the corresponding prefixes
>>into the *.hpp files in the "Handler" subdir and in Xerces.C. Afterwards
>>the module compiled and linked OK into a DLL.
>

> Is this what I would have to do to solve the problem reported here:
> <http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xerces-p-dev&m=104699793804653>?

Maybe - though my error messages looked totally different. I use
Win2000, Perl 5.6.1 (ActivePerl build 629) and VC 6.0. Note that you
need SWIG to update Xerces.C and have to set the SWIG and XERCES_DEVEL
environment vars.

> Do you perhaps have patches to xerces-p source that I could apply
> directly myself?

Here are some diffs (I hope the lines remain intact). For the files in
the Handler "subdir" I made only one diff, the other *.hpp files must be
changed similarly.

Martin

# ------------ snip ---------------

Makefile.PL
38c38
< my $LIBS = '-lpthread';
---
 > my $LIBS; # avoid warning
131c131
< my $LIBXERCES = "-lxerces-c";
---
 > my $LIBXERCES = "-lxerces-c_2";
165c165
<       \$(MAKE) -C Handler static
---
 >       cd Handler && \${MAKE} static
173c173
< my $CFLAGS = '-D_REENTRANT';
---
 > my $CFLAGS = '-D_REENTRANT -DWIN32 -TP -GX -DHAS_BOOL';
178c178
<   my $FIND = 'find';
---
 >   my $FIND = 'C:/unix/bin/find'; # Cygwin find
189a190

194,202c195
<
<
< Xerces.pm: Xerces.C postModule.pl Xerces-extra.pm
<       if [[ postModule.pl -nt Xerces.pm || Xerces-extra.pm -nt
Xerces.pm ]] ; then \\
< \$(SWIG) -I. \$(INC) -perl5 -c++ -shadow -o foo.C Xerces.i ; \\
< rm foo.C ; \\
< perl postModule.pl Xerces.pm ; \\
< cp -f Xerces.pm blib/lib/XML ; \\
<       fi
---
 >       cp -f Xerces.pm blib/lib/XML
205c198
<       \$(MAKE) -C Handler static
---
 >       cd Handler && \${MAKE} static

postmodule.pl
39a40,45
 >       unless ($CURR_CLASS ne 'XML::Xerces'
 >             and $CURR_CLASS ne 'XML::Xercesc'
 >             and exists $VARS{$CURR_CLASS}) {
 >       $VARS{$CURR_CLASS}++;
 >       print TEMP 'use vars qw(@ISA %OWNER %ITERATORS
%BLESSEDMEMBERS);', "\n";
 >       };

typemaps.i
186c186
< DYNAMIC_CAST(SWIGTYPE_p_DOMNode, DOMNode_dynamic_cast);
---
 > DYNAMIC_CAST(SWIGTYPE_p_XERCES_CPP_NAMESPACE__DOMNode,
DOMNode_dynamic_cast
197c197
<       return SWIGTYPE_p_DOMText;
---
 >       return SWIGTYPE_p_XERCES_CPP_NAMESPACE__DOMText;
200c200
<       return SWIGTYPE_p_DOMProcessingInstruction;
---
 >       return SWIGTYPE_p_XERCES_CPP_NAMESPACE__DOMProcessingInstruction;
203c203
<       return SWIGTYPE_p_DOMDocument;
---
 >       return SWIGTYPE_p_XERCES_CPP_NAMESPACE__DOMDocument;
206c206
<       return SWIGTYPE_p_DOMElement;
---
 >       return SWIGTYPE_p_XERCES_CPP_NAMESPACE__DOMElement;
209c209
<       return SWIGTYPE_p_DOMEntityReference;
---
 >       return SWIGTYPE_p_XERCES_CPP_NAMESPACE__DOMEntityReference;
212c212
<       return SWIGTYPE_p_DOMCDATASection;
---
 >       return SWIGTYPE_p_XERCES_CPP_NAMESPACE__DOMCDATASection;
215c215
<       return SWIGTYPE_p_DOMCDATASection;
---
 >       return SWIGTYPE_p_XERCES_CPP_NAMESPACE__DOMCDATASection;
218c218
<       return SWIGTYPE_p_DOMComment;
---
 >       return SWIGTYPE_p_XERCES_CPP_NAMESPACE__DOMComment;
221c221
<       return SWIGTYPE_p_DOMDocumentType;
---
 >       return SWIGTYPE_p_XERCES_CPP_NAMESPACE__DOMDocumentType;
224c224
<       return SWIGTYPE_p_DOMEntity;
---
 >       return SWIGTYPE_p_XERCES_CPP_NAMESPACE__DOMEntity;
227c227
<       return SWIGTYPE_p_DOMAttr;
---
 >       return SWIGTYPE_p_XERCES_CPP_NAMESPACE__DOMAttr;
230c230
<       return SWIGTYPE_p_DOMNotation;
---
 >       return SWIGTYPE_p_XERCES_CPP_NAMESPACE__DOMNotation;

Handler/PerlContentCallbackHandler.hpp
6a7,9

 > using namespace xercesc;

8c11
< class PerlContentCallbackHandler  : public ContentHandler
---
 > class PerlContentCallbackHandler  : public xercesc::ContentHandler

(...similar for the other *.hpp Files)

XML-Xerces-2.0.0-3 on Windows

Posted by David Starks-Browning <st...@ebi.ac.uk>.
On Friday 7 Mar 03, Martin Raspe writes:
> ... I had to insert the corresponding prefixes
> into the *.hpp files in the "Handler" subdir and in Xerces.C. Afterwards
> the module compiled and linked OK into a DLL.

Is this what I would have to do to solve the problem reported here:
<http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xerces-p-dev&m=104699793804653>?

Do you perhaps have patches to xerces-p source that I could apply
directly myself?

Thanks,
David

XML-Xerces-2.0.0-3 on Windows

Posted by Martin Raspe <ra...@uni-trier.de>.
Hello all,

I am very much interested in having xerces-p for Windows, but haven't
had complete success yet. Here are some findings, maybe someone can shed
additional light on the problems.

XML-Xerces-2.0.0-3 doesn't compile out of the box. Firstly this is due
to some incompatibilities in Makefile.PL which can be overcome by hand
(such as replacing unix-specific "make" and "find" syntax, compiler
flags and the xerces-c library name). For some reason "xerces.C" is not
made (because of the uppercase ".C" it seems) and has to be compiled by
hand.

Problems arise in the linking phase. The resulting .obj file can't be
linked against the Xerces-C.lib Version 2.0.0, because some vital
symbols are not exported in the Win32 binary distribution (e. g.
SaxNotSupportedException). Perhaps rebuilding the Xerces-C library from
the source would help - I haven't tried yet.

So I tried to rebuild the whole module using Swig-1.3.17 against the
Xerces-C.lib Version 2.2.0 (which contains the missing symbols). This
also proved rather difficult because of the "xercesc" namespace that has
been introduced meanwhile: I had to insert the corresponding prefixes
into the *.hpp files in the "Handler" subdir and in Xerces.C. Afterwards
the module compiled and linked OK into a DLL.

Xerces.pm would compile only after adjusting "postmodule.pl" (adding a
fragment from XML-Xerces-1.7.0-1. which inserts
"use vars qw(@ISA %OWNER %ITERATORS %BLESSEDMEMBERS)" into each
package). Still all tests fail because SWIG doesn't seem to generate a
"new" method for "PerlErrorCallbackHandler". This is where I'm stuck for
the moment.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Martin

Re: [Announce]: XML-Xerces-2.0.0-2

Posted by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com>.
"Guillaume Morin" <gu...@morinfr.org> writes:

> Dans un message du 06 mar à 19:15, Jason E. Stewart écrivait :
> > Sorry about that. I've removed the offending line and uploaded
> > XML-Xerces-2.0.0-3
>
> Ok, the tests now work fine.

Good.

> But some files in the archives have timestamps in the future and
> this breaks the build system. You just have to touch(1) them before
> building XML::Xerces.

Huh. I'll look at this.

jas.

Re: [Announce]: XML-Xerces-2.0.0-2

Posted by Guillaume Morin <gu...@morinfr.org>.
Dans un message du 10 déc à 10:52, Guillaume Morin écrivait :
> Side note for Debian users: I plan to upload XML::Xerces 2.0.0-2 into
> Debian sid soon.

I meant XML::Xerces 2.0.0-3. libxml-xerces-perl_2.0.0-3-1 is now in
incoming and should go into sid tonight.

--
Guillaume Morin <gu...@morinfr.org>

    If it doesn't work, force it.  If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.

Re: [Announce]: XML-Xerces-2.0.0-2

Posted by Guillaume Morin <gu...@morinfr.org>.
Dans un message du 06 mar à 19:15, Jason E. Stewart écrivait :
> Sorry about that. I've removed the offending line and uploaded
> XML-Xerces-2.0.0-3

Ok, the tests now work fine. But some files in the archives have
timestamps in the future and this breaks the build system. You just have
to touch(1) them before building XML::Xerces.

Side note for Debian users: I plan to upload XML::Xerces 2.0.0-2 into
Debian sid soon.

Guillaume Morin <gu...@morinfr.org>

    Marianne rebelle me disait qu'elle est plus jolie métissée (Noir Désir)

Re: [Announce]: XML-Xerces-2.0.0-2

Posted by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com>.
"Guillaume Morin" <gu...@morinfr.org> writes:

> If I comment out "use XML::Xerces::DOMParse;" (line 72), the script works fine :

Damn.

Re: [Announce]: XML-Xerces-2.0.0-2

Posted by Guillaume Morin <gu...@morinfr.org>.
Dans un message du 06 mar à 17:09, Jason E. Stewart écrivait :
> Can you run DOMPrint.pl by hand and see what you get?
>
>   perl samples/DOMPrint.pl samples/personal.xml

guillaum@siri:~/debian/build/libxml-xerces-perl/libxml-xerces-perl-2.0.0-2$
perl samples/DOMPrint.pl samples/personal.xml
Can't locate XML/Xerces/DOMParse.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
/home/guillaum/debian/build/libxml-xerces-perl/libxml-xerces-perl-2.0.0-2/blib/arch
/home/guillaum/debian/build/libxml-xerces-perl/libxml-xerces-perl-2.0.0-2/blib/lib
/etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.0 /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.0
/usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.8.0
/usr/share/perl/5.8.0 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at samples/DOMPrint.pl
line 72.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at samples/DOMPrint.pl line 72.

If I comment out "use XML::Xerces::DOMParse;" (line 72), the script works fine :

guillaum@siri:~/debian/build/libxml-xerces-perl/libxml-xerces-perl-2.0.0-2$
perl samples/DOMPrint.pl samples/personal.xml
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1" standalone="no" ?>
<!DOCTYPE personnel SYSTEM "personal.dtd">
<!-- @version: -->
<personnel>

  <person id="Big.Boss">
    <email>chief@foo.com</email>
    <link subordinates="one.worker two.worker three.worker four.worker
five.worker"/>
  </person>

  <person id="one.worker">
    <email>one@foo.com</email>
    <link manager="Big.Boss"/>
  </person>

  <person id="two.worker">
    <email>two@foo.com</email>
    <link manager="Big.Boss"/>
  </person>

  <person id="three.worker">
    <email>three@foo.com</email>
    <link manager="Big.Boss"/>
  </person>

  <person id="four.worker">
    <email>four@foo.com</email>
    <link manager="Big.Boss"/>
  </person>

  <person id="five.worker">
    <email>five@foo.com</email>
    <link manager="Big.Boss"/>
  </person>

</personnel>
guillaum@siri:~/debian/build/libxml-xerces-perl/libxml-xerces-perl-2.0.0-2$

Guillaume Morin <gu...@morinfr.org>

          5 years from now everyone will be running free GNU on their
           200 MIPS, 64M SPARCstation-5 (Andy Tanenbaum, 30 Jan 1992)

Re: [Announce]: XML-Xerces-2.0.0-2

Posted by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com>.
"Guillaume Morin" <gu...@morinfr.org> writes:

> Hi Jason,
>
> Dans un message du 09 déc à 12:52, Jason E. Stewart écrivait :
> > This is a minor update. It simply fixes all the tests, and forces them
> > to use Test::More. The other fix is DOMNode operator!= is supported
> > (it got accidentally dropped).
>
> I've tested it. The DOMPrint test still fails but the others work fine :
>
> t/DOMPrint................ok 1/2#     Failed test (t/DOMPrint.t at line
> 58)
> # Found []

This indicates what string DOMPrint actually output - the blank
string.

Re: [Announce]: XML-Xerces-2.0.0-2

Posted by Guillaume Morin <gu...@morinfr.org>.
Hi Jason,

Dans un message du 09 déc à 12:52, Jason E. Stewart écrivait :
> This is a minor update. It simply fixes all the tests, and forces them
> to use Test::More. The other fix is DOMNode operator!= is supported
> (it got accidentally dropped).

I've tested it. The DOMPrint test still fails but the others work fine :

t/DOMPrint................ok 1/2#     Failed test (t/DOMPrint.t at line
58)
# Found []
# Looks like you failed 1 tests of 2.
t/DOMPrint................dubious
        Test returned status 1 (wstat 256, 0x100)
Constant subroutine __need_size_t redefined at
/usr/lib/perl/5.8.0/stddef.ph line 131.
DIED. FAILED test 2
        Failed 1/2 tests, 50.00% okay

Do you see the cause of this problem ?

Guillaume Morin <gu...@morinfr.org>

     Tu veux que les gens réagissent ? Alors commence par réagir (Lofofora)