Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Steven Shaw <st...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/13 11:49:17 UTC

Fwd: [ajug] Java Open-Sourced

Interesting!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Coldrick <da...@sun.com>
Date: 13-Nov-2006 05:06
Subject: [ajug] Java Open-Sourced
To: ajug@yahoogroups.com

Well, it's finally happening, both Java ME and Java SE. The details will
be available at http://www.sun.com/opensource/java. Believe it or not,
you can participate in the Q&A
(http://millionsofus.com/blog/archives/110) at the Sun Pavilion
(http://tinyurl.com/m338r) in Second Life, Monday, November 13, 2006
from 1:00pm - 2:00pm PT.

For the more traditional folks, there will be a webcast of the event at
9:30am PST at http://sun.com/javanews (RealPlayer 10 or higher required).

The licencing will be GPLv2 (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html), with
what's commonly referred to as the Classpath Exception
(http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/) included in Java SE. This last
basically allows for programs to subclass Java runtime classes without
invoking the "viral" nature of the GPL.

Java EE - see the GlassFish project - will also be available under
GPLv2, as well as its current CDDL licencing.

Exciting times, indeed.

Regards,
David

Re: [ajug] Java Open-Sourced

Posted by John O'Hara <jo...@gmail.com>.
Totally agree with that last sentiment - JVM DomU coming real soon.

Re: [ajug] Java Open-Sourced

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.

Re: [ajug] Java Open-Sourced

Posted by John O'Hara <jo...@gmail.com>.
It's outstanding.  Java unleashed (for all practical purposes).

Bound to have long term repercussions in open source projects, for operating
systems, for C++ (damages it, probably), and for Open Office and Gnome --
after all, why use Mono, which is probably tainted in some way, now you can
use Java?????

Gnome was, as I understand it, on the verge of incorporating Mono to get a
nicer programming environment. Gnome with an embedded JVM, given that Java
is no longer a slouch, would would be better than Mono, imho.

This also is interesting for Virtualisation -- because an unfettered JVM
running directly on Xen could give POSIX a run for its money in the fullness
of time.

Very interesting times.
John

Re: [ajug] Java Open-Sourced

Posted by Steven Shaw <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: [ajug] Java Open-Sourced

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
Steven Shaw wrote:
> On 13/11/06, Steve Vinoski <vi...@iona.com> wrote:
>> One item that the author gets completely wrong IMO is blaming the
>> rumor about GPL being viral on a speech by Craig Mundie in May 2001.
>> That alleged rumor had been circulating for the better part of the
>> decade preceding that speech, and I'm sure Mundie's speech only
>> echoed that "rumor." I haven't yet read the other nine items, so I
>> can't comment on their accuracy.
>
> I completely agree. I always thought that GPL was viral. Still do :).
> Much prefer BSD/MIT style licensing.
Depends what for....

GPL is great for keeping all the contribution coming back to the
project, and not having vendors trying
to sell value add forks.

BSD is great were you don't have the above dynamic and want to have
vendor ISV's / repackaging.

Re: [ajug] Java Open-Sourced

Posted by Steven Shaw <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: [ajug] Java Open-Sourced

Posted by Steve Vinoski <vi...@iona.com>.
On Nov 13, 2006, at 8:54 AM, Steven Shaw wrote:

> On 13/11/06, Steve Vinoski <vi...@iona.com> wrote:
>> It's unfortunately GPL, which to the best of my knowledge means it
>> won't help us here (see [1]).
>
> I don't understand what you are getting at. I think GPL is a good
> move. I
> understand about [1]. This is the platform/runtime. We run Apache Qpid
> Java on the propretary Java runtime now, don't we? In particular, I
> thought
> this move might make RedHat think differently about focusing on Java
> technology...

IANAL. I was merely pointing out what [1] says about GPL and Apache
software.

> When the GPL license for JRE was just a rumour, Javalobby sent a
> newsletter
> about that. Here's an bit of that. The link to the "10 common
> misunderstandings about the GPL" is probably worth a read.
>
> GPL is so open source, in fact, that many are concerned to use GPL-
> based
> packages in their own technology. The myth is that if you use any GPL
> technology in your product, then your product will be "infected" by
> legal
> provisions in the GPL, and you will be required to open source your
> technology under the same terms as the GPL technology you
> incorporated.
> While it is true that GPL has provisions that may have consequences
> for your
> GPL-based products, it is not nearly as simple as the viral
> infection myth
> that appears to have originated within corridors of a certain
> software giant
> located in Redmond, Washington. For an excellent overview of this
> issue and
> several related issues, I highly recommend the article "10 common
> misunderstandings about the GPL <http://www.dzone.com/r/6566>" by
> Bruce
> Byfield. If it is true that GPL will govern the core Java platform,
> then
> you'll most likely want to have a better sense of what that may
> mean to you.

One item that the author gets completely wrong IMO is blaming the
rumor about GPL being viral on a speech by Craig Mundie in May 2001.
That alleged rumor had been circulating for the better part of the
decade preceding that speech, and I'm sure Mundie's speech only
echoed that "rumor." I haven't yet read the other nine items, so I
can't comment on their accuracy.

But as I say, IANAL. I'm also not looking for an argument. I'll leave
it to the lawyers to decide whether GPL is a good move or not in
general, and I'll leave it to legal-minded people in Apache to decide
what this means for Apache software.

--steve

Re: [ajug] Java Open-Sourced

Posted by Steven Shaw <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: [ajug] Java Open-Sourced

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
I think it is great that it is GPL, it keeps all the contributions
following back to project. GPL should not
be an issue also, as Java has a well defined API / spec from JCP, so it
is not much different than us using
gcc and Linux libs.

Carl.

Re: [ajug] Java Open-Sourced