Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by "Jason R. Cupp" <jc...@yahoo.com> on 2005/03/04 03:48:57 UTC

m_inputContentHandler not reset in TransformerImpl.java

The only way I can get re-useable XMLFilters is to uncomment-out line
522 below in TransformerImpl.java. Otherwise, I will get a
NullPointerException on the second time I try to use the filter.

I'm wondering why this line in commented out in the source? There
doesn't seem to be an explaination in the code, but it is there...
Thanks,  Jason

479 : 	  	  	 public void reset()
522 : 	  	  	 // m_inputContentHandler = null;

See the Movie! http://www.fahrenheit911.com/

Re: m_inputContentHandler not reset in TransformerImpl.java

Posted by Joseph Kesselman <ke...@us.ibm.com>.

A minor point of coding style/practice, just so folks understand what
they're seeing:

Generally, if a line is commented out without explanation of why, it's
either something we disabled because it appeard to be causing trouble and
never got around to actually removing, or it's a design alternative we
considered but decided was probably not the right answer. So it's a hint
about something that may be worth looking at for further debugging -- but
is equally likely to cause problems or cure them, or maybe both at once.

Enabling that line is worth trying... but you should regression-test
heavily, and be prepared to disable it again if something else goes wrong.
And you should definitely sanity-check to make sure this really is the
_best_ place to fix your actual symptom.

(I'm particularly prone to leave large blocks of commented-out code when
I'm making systematic changes that I don't entirely trust and may want to
back out again... though recently those have tended to be under the control
of static final booleans rather than comments per se, which makes reverting
a trifle easier but makes ripping out the old code when we're sure about
the patch a bit more difficult.)

Re: m_inputContentHandler not reset in TransformerImpl.java

Posted by Morris Kwan <mk...@ca.ibm.com>.
I think it is a bug, although I don't know why this line is commented out.
Please open a bug report in the JIRA database
(http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/BrowseProject.jspa?id=10584).

Thanks,

Morris Kwan
XSLT Development
IBM Toronto Lab
Tel: (905)413-3729
Email: mkwan@ca.ibm.com

             "Jason R. Cupp"
             <jcupp10@yahoo.co
                                       xalan-dev@xml.apache.org
             03/03/2005 09:48                                           cc
             PM
                                                                   Subject
                                       m_inputContentHandler not reset in
             Please respond to         TransformerImpl.java
                 xalan-dev