Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Felipe Leme <ma...@felipeal.net> on 2004/09/06 01:56:58 UTC

Branch and tags while fixing an issue

Hi all,

I'd like to fix issue MPJAVA-8
(http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MPJAVA-8) but in order to do so I will
need to change many plugins and hence the fix itself will take a while
(as I will have to write new test cases for each affected plugin).

So, I was thinking about working on a separate branch while this issue
is fixed. If the documentation -
http://maven.apache.org/development/branches.html - is up-to-date (looks
like it is from the Maven/Turbine days), I would need to create on
maven-plugins a MPJAVA8_SPROUT tag and a MPJAV_8_BRANCH branch before I
start the work and then the MPJAVA8_BEFORE_MERGE and MPJAVA8_MERGE tags
afterward.

Is that right? If so, can I go ahead and do the changes?

-- Felipe

Re: Branch and tags while fixing an issue

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
> Hmm, I think I wasn't clear in my previous message: the reason I'd like
> to create a branch is that I can work in the issue without messing with
> the main branch (in this case, the 1_0_BRANCH) while all the changes are
> not ready. Once I finish the changes, I would merge them back to the
> main branch (and that 'private' branch could be forgotten).

There is no 1_0_BRANCH on the plugins. All the plugins are developed on HEAD
previously. If you are going to branch, I just suggested that they be done
individually.

> If I don't
> create a branch, I need to either work in small changes at time or work
> in a lot of changes without committing them back to CVS.

There's never anything wrong with doing work in small changes.

> > code in to set it, and if not set get it from the old property name, it
> should
> > play nicely. I did similarly in the artifact/deploy plugin.
>
> I don't understand what you mean by 'if not set get it from ...'...

Sorry, I was probably thinking back to front. You actually want to set both and
deprecate one, right?

> Anyway, the fix shouldn't cause backaward compatibility issues, although
> the new final names might change in some cases (for instance, the WAR
> file created at target doesn't have the currentVersion on its name,
> which is inconsistent with the other plugins and even the WAR that is
> installed/deployed).

You need to be careful that you don't break any existing builds with this,
that's all.

Thanks,
Brett

Re: Branch and tags while fixing an issue

Posted by Felipe Leme <ma...@felipeal.net>.
Brett,

On Sun, 2004-09-05 at 21:03, Brett Porter wrote:

> 1) branching/versioning should be on a per-plugin level, if needed
> 2) changes should be backwards compatible at this stage, indicating that a
> branch may not be needed.

Hmm, I think I wasn't clear in my previous message: the reason I'd like
to create a branch is that I can work in the issue without messing with
the main branch (in this case, the 1_0_BRANCH) while all the changes are
not ready. Once I finish the changes, I would merge them back to the
main branch (and that 'private' branch could be forgotten). If I don't
create a branch, I need to either work in small changes at time or work
in a lot of changes without committing them back to CVS.

> IIRC this is the change to a new .final.name property. I think if you put some

Yes, that's it.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
I'll can reply in more detail when I get a chance if needed, but I don't think
this is the right approach.

Two reasons:
1) branching/versioning should be on a per-plugin level, if needed
2) changes should be backwards compatible at this stage, indicating that a
branch may not be needed.

IIRC this is the change to a new .final.name property. I think if you put some
code in to set it, and if not set get it from the old property name, it should
play nicely. I did similarly in the artifact/deploy plugin.

Cheers,
Brett