Posted to dev@sqoop.apache.org by Jarek Jarcec Cecho <ja...@apache.org> on 2012/12/02 02:17:21 UTC

[DISCUSS] Sqoop 2 first cut

Hi Sqoop fellow developers,
it seems that basic import and export functionality in Sqoop 2 will be very soon covered. Having said that I would like to propose doing "first cut" release of Sqoop 2. My motivation to provide early bits is to get feedback from actual users as soon as possible, so that we can incorporate good ideas before it will become too expensive.

As we've discussed in the past [1] -  I would like to propose version number 1.99.1. I believe that this version number implies that it's very far from current stable 1.4 version and very very near to 2.0, but it's not 2.0 yet. I would also like to volunteer to be the release manager for this first cut of Sqoop 2 branch.

I'm happy to hear other's thoughts!

Jarcec

Links:
1: http://markmail.org/message/5jygqqy3oryxqdib

Re: [DISCUSS] Sqoop 2 first cut

Posted by Jarek Jarcec Cecho <ja...@apache.org>.
Thank you guys for your feedback, I greatly appreciate that. I'll start working on the release then!

Jarcec

Re: [DISCUSS] Sqoop 2 first cut

Posted by Hari Shreedharan <hs...@cloudera.com>.
+1 on the release and the RM.

Re: [DISCUSS] Sqoop 2 first cut

Posted by abhijeet gaikwad <ab...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Sqoop 2 first cut

Posted by Alexander Alten-Lorenz <wg...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jarcec,

Re: [DISCUSS] Sqoop 2 first cut

Posted by Jarek Jarcec Cecho <ja...@apache.org>.
Hi Alex,

Re: [DISCUSS] Sqoop 2 first cut

Posted by Alexander Alten-Lorenz <wg...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: [DISCUSS] Sqoop 2 first cut

Posted by Arvind Prabhakar <ar...@apache.org>.
Hi Jarcec,

A big +1 for getting this going! Having a release out that users can
experiment with will be a great idea to test the waters and see how Sqoop 2
effort needs to evolve to meet the borader requirements.

I also agree with the versioning scheme that you have proposed.

Regards,
Arvind Prabhakar

Re: [DISCUSS] Sqoop 2 first cut

Posted by Will McQueen <wi...@cloudera.com>.
+1
Thanks for volunteering, Jarcec!

Cheers,
Will

Re: [DISCUSS] Sqoop 2 first cut

Posted by Seetharam Venkatesh <ve...@innerzeal.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Sqoop 2 first cut

Posted by Bilung Lee <bl...@apache.org>.

RE: [DISCUSS] Sqoop 2 first cut

Posted by Venkatesan Ranganathan <n....@live.com>.
+1

Thanks for all your contributions (and other contributors') to bring this out

Venkat