Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Amey Jadiye <am...@gmail.com> on 2020/05/30 12:12:18 UTC

commons-graph still on sandbox ?

Hi All,

I'm working on an interesting project which uses Graph, I knew there is
commons-graph available and I'm trying to use it. I have a couple of
questions.

1. Why graph in the sandbox? any plan of releasing it with 1.0 ?
2. I don't see its repo on GitHub thus I cant contribute a
few improvements/additions I'm thinking? any plan of moving from svn to git?
3. Any pending work or jiras available which I can help to graduate commons
graph? this is not available https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/GRAPH ?

Regards,
Amey

[commons-graph] modularization [was]Re: commons-graph still on sandbox ?

Posted by Amey Jadiye <am...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 9:24 PM Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello Amey.
>
> Hello Gilles ,

> I've just noticed that  quite some work was done towards
> that goal.  I created the corresponding branch on "gitbox".
> From a quick glance, the maven modules do not follow the
> convention of modular components such as "Commons
> RNG": a module's name should be
>   commons-graph-api
> rather then just
>   api

Thanks for pushing it to git, I was aware about the modularization branch
from the old svn repository, I was referring same for modularisation.

> I suggest that you take "Commons RNG" as an example,
> and update [Graph] accordingly (namely the POM files).

Thanks for the reference of RNG, will certainly refer it for graph
modularization. I have already started upgrading the codebase and pushing
PR's.
https://github.com/apache/commons-graph/pull/1

Meantime could you please set up the Travis-CI for commons-graph? I have
mentioned https://travis-ci.org/apache/commons-graph in README, for now, it
doesn't exist though. not sure if PMC can do this or this goes to INFRA?

[Somehow the tool recommended by INFRA did not do a full
> job of duplicating the code base on SVN...  There are other
> (older) branches there; so you might want to have a look and
> let us know whether you want them on git too or whether they
> are outdated.]

Just modularization brach is ok for now.  Thank You!

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.
Hello Amey.

Le mar. 2 juin 2020 à 03:01, Amey Jadiye <am...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> Hi Gilles,
>
> On Tue, Jun 2, 2020, 4:36 AM Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello.

> > > Thanks for all the information/support guys. I dug into the archives and
> > > found this[1] is the most recent interest shown by someone in
> > > commons-graph.
> > > even created a Jira[2] with lots of digestible information and todo
> > already
> > > but never progressed anymore. looks like maintainers left it here[3] with
> > > no more progress.
> > >
> > > I used the existing commons-graph 0.1-SNAPSHOT  and basic things look
> > good
> > > to me however need more things for my project and I found them in some
> > > other OSS libs. I will be happy to see commons-graph graduated and see it
> > > as the proper component, with my free time I will be working on this for
> > > the next couple of weeks. I see the problem of graph being not on GitHub
> > > though, I hope communication on Jira will suffice and effective to
> > > communicate the patches (as graph is on svn).
> >
> > You can always post a new message with the specific subject
> > of moving it to git, in order to elicit opinions and, maybe,
> > conditions.
> >

> Let me do that, it be good we move for further management of code and
> contribution.
>

> > > I see some 16 Jiras open right now in the sandbox[4] so I will pick up
> > some
> > > of them. I like the idea to compare the commons-graph with other
> > libraries
> > > and that makes roadmap to have all the features plus some more which are
> > > not even in them.
> > >
> > > Now to start with I wanted to clear little confusion with what is
> > released
> > > and what's not, I see two releases of commons-graph on maven central[5]
> > it
> > > shows apache feather on it not sure if commons PMC released it with fork?
> > > versions are  0.8 and 0.8.1 however site[6] shows just a 0.1-SNAPSHOT. I
> > > went further to compare code decompiled from maven central jar(0.8.1)
> > with
> > > what's in svn(0.1-SNAPSHOT)  *differences are huge*, leaving it. and
> > > focusing on whats on svn.
> > >
> > > since the commons-graph is not as huge as some of the other commons
> > > projects to be modular at this point. we should progress it with a single
> > > module and after it stabilized in proper we can think of modularization.
> >
> > IMHO, it is preferable to make the component modular
> > sooner (while it is relatively small) rather than later.
> > As this will require to determine which parts need to
> > belong together and the (acyclic graph of) dependencies,
> > it will probably help improve the design.
> >
> If that's the case it should be 1st thing to do, I will create structure
> and propose for opinions.

I've just noticed that  quite some work was done towards
that goal.  I created the corresponding branch on "gitbox".
From a quick glance, the maven modules do not follow the

Posted by Amey Jadiye <am...@gmail.com>.
Hi Gilles,

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.
Hello.

Posted by Amey Jadiye <am...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: commons-graph still on sandbox ?

Posted by "Bruno P. Kinoshita" <ki...@apache.org>.
Hi Amey!

Posted by Amey Jadiye <am...@gmail.com>.
Hi Gilles,

I found some useful things in jira-sandbox with component name Graph.
I will dig some more important things and come up with some plan. Thanks
for your help.

Regards,
Amey

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.