Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com> on 2013/06/02 03:08:07 UTC

[Discuss][Wiki]"Synchronizing" (or not) localized wiki sites [was: Fwd: [UserGuide]My "roadmap"]

(Top posting, CC to dev, doc and l10n, not sure on which one it is better
to continue the discussion)

Moving the discussion to its own thread, see below for a copy of the

http://markmail.org/message/x6wntz5nwefj7ko3

(just skip the first message that had a completely different purpose...)

The original thread shows two problems. I'll not talk about the first one
here (to not communicate what someone is doing, at the risk of waste the
efforts of someone else that it's working on the same task). The second
problem, the one considered here, is about how do we want to organize the
wiki.

Do we want to "clone", for example, the documentation section on all the
localized sites, just translating it? On Sun times that was the idea, with
sub sites ("portals") like

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/DE/Documentation
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/FR/Documentation

etc looking almost the same on all languages.

AFAIK, right now the only of those sub sites updated recently is the French
one, though: several of those "portals" do not see activity since years.

I don't think that this "cloning" is possible or even desirable. Of course
an easy way to arrive to the same resources on the different languages *is*
desirable, and for this purpose a consolidated directory structure is
certainly useful, but if instead of /ES/Documentation we use /ES/Manuales I
cannot really see the problem.

Also, there is the problem that the content available on those old sites is
mainly outdated, build by a third party project and some(many)times with
the wrong license. Do we want to update that content or start almost from
scratch with the new user guide under Apache license, moving old content to
a "legacy" section?

Of course starting from scratch is more work, but updating documents with a
cocktail of licenses will be a problem too.

And note that starting from scratch does not mean trashing old content,
it's just saying "this is the old content, maybe it's still useful, but we
are working on the new one here".

I think this was briefly discussed before on the dev list (with no clear
output), but I cannot find the original thread now.

Regards
Ricardo

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <or...@apache.org>.
@JanI,

Uh oh.

If you don't have explicit agreement from the contributor(s) to a page concerning it being offered under a different license, either leave the existing license or remove the content.  Those are the only legally-sanitary options for works still under copyright.

Declaring a work still in copyright to be orphaned does not give you permission to republish it with a different license.  Copyright doesn't work that way, not merely in the US.

Secondly, the web site and wiki content were not, as far as I know, included in the grant from Oracle. There has clearly been no objection, the domains were transferred to the ASF, but technically that does not in any way change the copyright status of any of the content.  (The source-code grant, by the way, did not transfer any copyright to the ASF.  It simply provided a license to the ASF that allowed the ASF to publish and make derivatives under its license.  Copyright in the original content continues to abide with Oracle.)

While casual treatment of this sort of thing succeeds in some situations, here the interests and concerns of The Apache Software Foundation as a public-interest entity come into play.  It is expected that folks on Apache projects will play nice with the intellectual property of others.

In particular,

   2) We are allowed to copy  the pages, with changes, and the new page can be
      under a new license

is not ever automatically true.  If there is already a license, the terms of that license will determine what is possible with a derivative work ("with changes").  Even copying is an exclusive right of the copyright holder, so the license matters there too.  In the absence of a license, (2) is not permitted at all by anyone but the copyright holder or someone authorized by the copyright holder (i.e., being licensed to do so).

Finally, and most important, making changes does not give anyone different rights to the parts that survive from the original work.  (Fine points about license conditions apply here, but one should never assume that a legitimate licensing of a derivative work has any impact on the IP interests in the surviving content of the original work.)

 - Dennis

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.
2013/6/9 Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>

> On 08/06/2013 RGB ES wrote:
>
>> At this point, I think we all agree that we have a bit of a license mess
>> that needs to be fixed in order to clarify the documentation project. So
>> here is one possible idea:
>>
>> 1- Move the current /Documentation page to /Documentation-OLD or
>> /Documentation-LEGACY(1), indicating at the begining that the content is
>> outdated
>> 2- Create a new "portal" page on the old url with the characteristic
>> described bellow
>>

> This could work. But I'm tired of seeing "Legacy" notices everywhere. I'd
> prefer to call the "legacy" stuff "Documentation-3" or something related to
> version 3.

Agree. Calling it Documentation-3 is perfect.

> And "new" stuff should not be "Documentation-AOO" but simply
> "Documentation".

Sure, that was the original idea. I just mentioned Documentation-AOO as a
transitional page where we can work without hurry, and then move the pages
to their right positions.

>From Tuesday I'll start to work on the Draw guide, someone that can help me
with the portal page? I can do it myself, of course, but only on a couple
of weeks.

Regards
Ricardo

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 08/06/2013 RGB ES wrote:
> At this point, I think we all agree that we have a bit of a license mess
> that needs to be fixed in order to clarify the documentation project. So
> here is one possible idea:
>
> 1- Move the current /Documentation page to /Documentation-OLD or
> /Documentation-LEGACY(1), indicating at the begining that the content is
> outdated
> 2- Create a new "portal" page on the old url with the characteristic
> described bellow

This could work. But I'm tired of seeing "Legacy" notices everywhere.
I'd prefer to call the "legacy" stuff "Documentation-3" or something
related to version 3. And "new" stuff should not be "Documentation-AOO"
but simply "Documentation". Apache OpenOffice is not a guest on the

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.
(top posting, because I'm not answering any particular post)

At this point, I think we all agree that we have a bit of a license mess
that needs to be fixed in order to clarify the documentation project. So
here is one possible idea:

1- Move the current /Documentation page to /Documentation-OLD or
/Documentation-LEGACY(1), indicating at the begining that the content is
outdated
2- Create a new "portal" page on the old url with the characteristic
described bellow

Characteristics for the new portal

* Introduction to the project, how to contact the group and participate,
pending tasks lists, etc.
* Links to the new, Apache licensed documentation (user guide, building
guide, etcetera) indicating that it's a work in progress and that new
contributors are welcomed.
* Add a section that points to the legacy page. Something like "Apache
OpenOffice inherited not only the code from former OpenOffice.org project,
but also a huge amount of documentation. Some of those documents are still
valid, some don't, but you can find all of them here".

Once this new structure is in place for the main EN site, propagate it to
other languages will be easier than fixing current PDL licensed pages.

What do you think?

(1) Maybe it's better to first create the new portal on /Documentation-AOO,
when that new page is ready move /Documentation to /Documentation-Legacy,
then move /Documentation-AOO to /Documentation

Regards
Ricardo

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 12:02 PM, janI <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
> [...]

move them if they are inconvenient?  But if the content is relevant,
why remove?

The way forward is to respect the licenses as they are.  We have
greater latitude in what legacy licenses are used on the website than
we do in the AOO product itself.   We've had no problems at all
hosting Creative Content licensed documentation, PDL content, etc., on
the website, wiki, etc.  Nothing has changed in that regard.

However, when we create new material, including enhancements of
existing material, then we need to respect the ICLA which says our
contributions are made under ALv2.  This might mean that going forward
that modified content is covered by multiple licenses.  This should
not be a problem.

> We should put the license in as part of "create user", as an "do you
> accept", thereby we only have a  problem with existing users.

This would be nice.

>> > Re-license those pages is not possible without the explicit consent of
>> the
>> > author, and those pages are so old that contact the authors is almost
>> > impossible. Suppose we update those pages to point to the new material. A
>> > potential contributor (or just a casual reader) will see the PDL notice
>> on
>> > the portal page, and no notice on the new pages: from the user
>> perspective,
>> > does this means that the new page is also under PDL? We know it isn't,
>> but
>> > this could be a cause of confusion, IMO. So, which is the best way to
>> work
>> > around this problem? Reimplement those pages, making a clear separation
>> > between new material (under Apache) and legacy content?
>>
>> Maybe this is the unique way. By other hand, is a opportunity of
>> review all content in the wiki, reorder and clean it, and evolve based
>> in the correct license. In some cases, we can see the page history and
>> try to find the author. Some parts, i believe that is all from
>> Sun/Oracle copyright, so transfered to ASF.

The website contents were not included in the SGA from Oracle.  So the
license is from the original authors.

> A cleanup would be nice independent of which way we go
>
> The word re-licensing is not a show stopper.
> 1) We are not obligated to store those pages for ever, we can, with notice,
> delete the pages
> 2) We are allowed to copy  the pages, with changes, and the new page can be
> under a new license

In any case I'd love to have the problem where we have abundant AOO
4.0 documentation in English and our main concern was how to translate
it.

Regards,

-Rob

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Claudio Filho <fi...@gmail.com>.
Hi

>>> http://wiki.services.**openoffice.org/wiki/DE/**Documentation<http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/DE/Documentation>

Posted by Claudio Filho <fi...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Fwd: [Discuss][Wiki]"Synchronizing" (or not) localized wiki sites [was: Fwd: [UserGuide]My "roadmap"]

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.
Ops! I forgot to add dev and doc as CC...

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 5:01 PM, RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2013/6/3 Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>
>
>> On 02/06/2013 RGB ES wrote:
>>
>>> (Top posting, CC to dev, doc and l10n, not sure on which one it is better
>>> to continue the discussion)
>>> Do we want to "clone", for example, the documentation section on all the
>>> localized sites, just translating it? On Sun times that was the idea, with
>>> sub sites ("portals") like
>>> http://wiki.services.**openoffice.org/wiki/**Documentation<http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation>
>>> http://wiki.services.**openoffice.org/wiki/DE/**Documentation<http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/DE/Documentation>
>>> http://wiki.services.**openoffice.org/wiki/FR/**Documentation<http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/FR/Documentation>
>>> etc looking almost the same on all languages.
>>>

>> This can work. We also have this other infrastructure in place
>> http://wiki.openoffice.org/**wiki/Main_Test<http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Main_Test>
>> added by Claudio a few months ago. See
>> http://wiki.openoffice.org/**wiki/Template:Lang<http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Template:Lang>
>> to see how it works. I don't know which approach is best for our case.
>>
>> As for keeping subsites synchronized, in theory this allows to have a
>> "Master copy" in English and then translate it in the various languages as
>> volunteers become available. In practice, we can't stop someone from
>> editing or creating a translated page to add new content in a language
>> only, but ideally this would imply that the English version is updated to
>> reflect the changes too.
>>

>>  AFAIK, right now the only of those sub sites updated recently is the
>>> French
>>> one, though: several of those "portals" do not see activity since years.
>>>

>> Yes, but this does not mean that they are completely outdated: information
>> in those pages is still current and relevant in most cases, and I think it
>> makes sense to continue using it rather than "starting clean" there too
>> (unless there are plans for a major rewrite).
>>

> All those "portal" pages are under PDL license (look at the categories at
> the bottom of those pages). If we want to promote new wiki content under
> Apache license, this means a problem. If I read this page right
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/licenses/PDL.html
>
> PDL is a sort of "copyleft" license.

Right.  So this is not good for downstream consumers.  Anyone who
wants to modify and redistribute AOO on commercial terms would want to
also modify and redistribute documentation.  So we do a service for
them if we can ensure the documentation is under the same permissive
license as the code.

As for managing the translations, one option is to do the authoring in
English, then import the text (HTML or Wikitext) into Pootle and
translate it that way.  Then we can generate the translated websites
without having translators deal with the HTML or wiki syntax directly.

-Rob

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.