Posted to builds@apache.org by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com> on 2009/12/17 22:03:50 UTC

Activate JNLP in Hudson

Hi

we now got a Windows server ready for installing a Hudson slave. As
there is a need to run GUI tests on the slave, the recommended way of
running Hudson is to use JNLP. However, the port used for JNLP slaves
is currently disabled on Hudson master.

Could we enable this port? If we do, we should probably firewall it so
that only white listed clients can connect. Do we run a firewall on
the Solaris server and if so, is there someone with the cycles to help
us in getting this set up?

/niklas

Re: Activate JNLP in Hudson

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.
On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 9:49 AM, Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 17/Dec/2009 21:03, Niklas Gustavsson wrote:
>> we now got a Windows server ready for installing a Hudson slave. As
>> there is a need to run GUI tests on the slave, the recommended way of
>> running Hudson is to use JNLP.
>
> Excuse my ignorance, but why does the method of invoking the Hudson
> slave affect what type of code that slave can run?  The GUI tests are
> run in a separate JVM forked from a script launched by Hudson...

The other way of running the Hudson slave is as a Windows service, and
as far as I know, a service does not have access to GUI. You can find
more details on the options here:
http://wiki.hudson-ci.org/display/HUDSON/Distributed+builds#Distributedbuilds-HavemasterlaunchslaveagentonWindows

> Solaris - <shrug/>.  It may be simpler to put ssh on the windows side
> and have everything work the same way.

That is certainly also an option. There is a write up on the
experience the Sontype guys had with Hudson/Windows/SSH here:
http://www.sonatype.com/people/2009/02/the-hudson-build-farm-experience-volume-ii/

/niklas

Re: Activate JNLP in Hudson

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
On 17/Dec/2009 21:03, Niklas Gustavsson wrote:
> we now got a Windows server ready for installing a Hudson slave. As
> there is a need to run GUI tests on the slave, the recommended way of
> running Hudson is to use JNLP.

Excuse my ignorance, but why does the method of invoking the Hudson
slave affect what type of code that slave can run?  The GUI tests are
run in a separate JVM forked from a script launched by Hudson...

> However, the port used for JNLP slaves is currently disabled on Hudson
> master.
>
> Could we enable this port? If we do, we should probably firewall it so
> that only white listed clients can connect. Do we run a firewall on
> the Solaris server and if so, is there someone with the cycles to help
> us in getting this set up?

Solaris - <shrug/>.  It may be simpler to put ssh on the windows side
and have everything work the same way.

Regards,
Tim