Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Aaron Smith <Aa...@kzoo.edu> on 2007/09/04 20:03:42 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache and mod_ssl

            I have a feeling that I'm missing something elementary here.
I have an install of apache 2.0.55 with mod_ssl enabled on a HP-UX
system in /opt/apache2.   This one runs fine.  I recompiled another copy
of apache (same version) into /opt/apache2a (for testing purposes) to
add mod_ldap support and that one worked as well.  Then I tried
recreating apache2a in apache2 by doing a recompile using a prefix of
apache2 and then doing an install after backing everything up and moving
the old apache install out of the way.  However, this one DOESN'T work.
If I launch it WITHOUT SSL turned on (i.e, no SSLEngine on) directive,
everything works great.  But as soon as I turn on SSL in a VirtualHost,
then strange things happen.  A client will connect to the test port via
SSL, the SSL negotiation appears to work just fine (tested using openssl
s_client), but when you attempt to do a GET, the request is sent, but a
reply never shows up.  Nothing appears in the access_log, and child
processes begin to spawn with each request.  I can pull up the
server-status url and everytime I hit refresh, one child process goes to
"W" and another one is spawned.  Clicking repeatedly will continue this
process until there are a ton of processes, all stuck at "Waiting" with
0/0/0 under the Acc columntDo it enough, the server's load average
starts to climb.

            I've checked and double checked every permission I can
possible find.  The User and Group directives are both set to "webadmin"
which is the same in all configurations. The permissions of the
sub-directories in both directories match between the two.  I have this
feeling that it's simple with the directory permissions and/or structure
but I just can't seem to locate it.  Anyone have any ideas on what else
I might need to look at?

Aaron

[users@httpd] Apache 2.0.59 / ssl memory leak

Posted by Swapan Gupta <sw...@infosys.com>.
Hi,

We have setup an Apache 2.0.59 along with mod_ssl and are executing a load run for Apache resources over https.
We are seeing continuous memory growth in Apache process during the course of the load run.

I we do a similar load run using Apache 2.0.59 over http (non-ssl), we do not see any significant memory growth in the Apache process.

Is anyone aware of a known memory leak issue with Apache 2.0.59 / mod_ssl for https transactions? Note similar memory growth issue is visible atleast Apache 2.0.53 onwards as well.

Thanks,
Swapan.

Apache 2.0.59 / ssl memory leak

RE: [users@httpd] Apache and mod_ssl

Posted by Aaron Smith <Aa...@kzoo.edu>.
I fixed my compile error but I'm back to this original problem.  I've
got it set up to listen with regular HTTP on port 8040 and HTTPS via
8045.  Connectinos to 8040 work find, connections 8045 exhibit the
problem of child processes piling up and hanging around for ever.

Does ANYONE have an idea of what I can look at to track this problem
down??