Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by jude <fl...@gmail.com> on 2015/12/01 01:32:51 UTC

Re: FlexJS Brand Positioning

I saw this on Twitter, ""Introducing NextGen ActionScript" via @
*joshtynjala* <https://twitter.com/joshtynjala> => http://
joshblog.net/2015/introducing-nextgen-actionscript/ …
<https://t.co/AnMp1Vw7p7>"

Not to be nitpicky but I think it's misleading. I'm stoked about the new
website and tutorials. In fact everything, but when I read, "NextGen
ActionScript" I thought of the NextGen AS3 project that Adobe started and
then abandoned. Knowing that it wasn't the Adobe project but knowing what
you've been working on I immediately did believe AS3 was going to be
getting new features. I didn't want to get my hopes up that it was an AS3.5
or AS4 type of project but after reading the blog post I was still
disappointed even with all of the good news in it.

To me the title is misleading and other AS3 devs may respond the same way
when they read it. While we are trying to announce the good news about F-JS
we might want to make clearer the distinction. BTW If these things are
planned and or I've misunderstood let me know.

Posted by Michael Schmalle <te...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 8:09 PM, Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yeah, I guess that's an unfortunate naming similarity to Adobe's abandoned
> "ActionScript Next". I hadn't even made the association. Regardless, I'm
> not concerned with a little temporary disappointment. Doing something like
> replacing a name associated with darker times with something fresh and
> hopeful is exactly what I intend to do with this project of mine.
> ActionScript deserves to evolve with the web, and maybe that even means new
> language features, if they're compelling enough.

Not to many people could add features to the compiler but there are people
that could. I am speaking on language features. The thing is, I already
spent 100's of hours developing FalconJX from the ground up and for me to
put that much time into more compiler development, there would have to be
money, more specifically, an ecosystem that is starting to create things in
a new way.

I can say this, I would not spend more time on this project just to make
Flash developers more money before they left for HTML5/JS. So for me, I
really am on Josh's wave where I like AS's language features. I would also
love to add features to AS's compiler but for that to happen, things need
to evolve and move forward, cause like I said, I am done making Flash
developers money(components etc).

I think what Josh meant by NextGen Actionscript hit the nail on the head
with my sentiment.

Mike

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by jude <fl...@gmail.com>.
Thanks I need to communicate more. I've been updating the blog around twice
a month now but haven't posted updates here.
I was pretty burnt out at the time I had donated the code. I didn't want to
look at it again and I didn't for months. I went back to school because I
didn't have enough debt in my life. Actually, to study graphic design. That
was educational but the school I was going to required me to take 3 non
graphic design classes which left only 1 actual design class to receive
financial aid. Yay for community college! But a long time friend at my
school passed (alcohol poisoning). TMI but I couldn't go into the school
and focus. So that and lack of financial aid (in the US they do not cover
what you need 1/2 to 3/4ths) and I had to drop out. Sorry for over sharing
but not sharing at all has caused more  problems than I care to mention.

I read about the Visual Studio and that's amazing news. IIUC Visual Studio
is not yet on the Mac but they have a new editor called Visual Studio Code,
https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/products/code-vs.aspx. It's a good
start. I still think the way they are doing it is patch upon patch... but
then again there hasn't been an alternative that that crowd has accepted
yet. I have many thoughts on that I'll save for another time.

I read up on Eclipse plugin integration, bought a book on it and made an
example plugin but that was before I even started Radiate and design view
still existed. It was really tough to try and do layouts with it in Java
after using MXML. It isn't as big a deal now as it was back then. If you
really want to integrate it with Eclipse or local Flex projects email me or
post on the list and I'll do what I can to help. There are some huge
advantages to it integrating with real Flex projects. I've been putting
some placeholders in the code for that use case. There are other priorities
I feel are more important that I have to do first. If that's really
something you want to see happen you'll want to work with updated code. And
if someone really wants to help I'm putting parts in my github you can
modify and I can pull them in. I would love to work on a larger scale but I
don't know how to do that, what people would expect for helping, what
people expect to be open or close sourced, if it should be free etc. It's
takes a lot from my mental real estate.

BTW If people want to help they can try the latest desktop version and give
feedback, https://www.radii8.com/blog/?page_id=799. When you start it it
will check for updates so you can keep up to date that way.

Harbs, there was the spoon project but I don't think they ever raised any
money for development. This is something as a community we really need to
figure out...

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
Jude,

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jude,

I also read your whole rant and you have valid points there. I don’t think there was opposition when you donated Radii8. Although sometimes the enthusiasm in donations can get drowned out by the noise of the annoying technical details.

I was actually surprised when you went completely silent on the subject after the donation. I was expecting “movement and noise” coming from you. I think most of us see value in the design view, but everyone is busy, and if things progress, it’s usually the person most passionate about a specific feature or tool who pushes it forward. That’s just the way it is with open source projects. I hope your commercial version is successful.

I also wish there was more funding to help push Flex forward quicker, but unless a specific company has a vested interest in doing so, it’s not gonna happen.

Harbs

Posted by jude <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Hi Jude,

Good stuff in here.  Thanks for bringing it up.  Comments inline...

On 12/1/15, 12:35 AM, "jude" <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>BTW I do plan to help on Flex JS when the time is right. That is when it's
>more stable, when it has a few more design and development features to it.

Can you provide more detail on what features you are waiting for?  Can you
help work on those features?

>Do not read this next part unless you want to hear me ranting and
>complaining. But because it's unclear to some people I'm mentioning this
>project I'm going to clarify some things. I donated the radiate code more
>than a year ago to apache.
>
>So again I was surprised an open source project was not fully embraced,
>appreciated or supported.

The limiting factor for Apache Flex is time.  The committers, like
yourself, only have limited time.  Even for me, who is paid to work on
this project, I have so many things to work on, Radiate is not in the top
10 on my list.  That doesn't mean the donation isn't appreciated.  But the
fact is, I think a lot of us expected you to keep working on it in the
Apache repos.  IOW, I didn't see it as a gift, but something you were
bringing to the party and not just leave it.

> ... I could go on but my whole point is that open
>source has a bunch of lies surrounding it. Look at OpenSSL. It powered
>half
>the webs ecommerce and do you know how much money was donated
><http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/04/tech-giants-chasten
>ed-by-heartbleed-finally-agree-to-fund-openssl/>
>to it? It was something like $2000 per year and was maintained by one
>developer. WTF guys?
>
>That project generated billions of dollars and no one supported it. My
>point is, after that first point, is that I'm trying to commercial radiate
>so that I can keep working on it. I'm giving some parts back to the OS
>community as I can but some part of me feels like I have to explain this.
>Like I'm not part of the OS crowd because I'm trying to make it survive.

And that's fine too.  Lots of commercial products are selling value-add to
open source technology.  That value-add can just be support, it doesn't
have to be new features.

>I'm happy for this FlexJS and NextGenActionScript but seriously, we suck
>donkey balls at raising money and supporting our work. Angular, typscript,
>all those other ones are getting resources, popularity in the biased
>asshole media. The company that shall not be named was horrible and still
>is horrible at marketing. I made a list and they are the number one worst
>company for marketing. So my point is we have to change or get better at
>this. If the media attacks it rip these assholes apart. IE defend it with
>vengeance.

There are corporate-driven open source models and then there is Apache.
Apache takes great pains to make it clear that no one corporation has
undue influence over the future of a project.  And all of us have
witnessed what happens when a corporation that does have influence changes
its mind.  So to some degree, potential customers should feel safer
placing a bet on an Apache project.

However, it appears that in the Apache model, until you get someone who
can build a business around the project, money is scarce.  I want to make
sure everybody reading this understands that Adobe is highly unlikely to
be the company that will build a business around Apache Flex.  Adobe has
totally focused on creatives and has pretty much decided that it isn't
good at supporting developers.  Adobe has probably spent over a million
dollars on getting Flex up and running at Apache and is not expecting a
dime of it back.  That seems quite generous to me.  It isn't going to kick
in more to help with marketing.  We've got to find other ways to get the
word out.

To me, that way is by word-of-mouth, testimonials from successful
customers.  And so I spend my time listening to what folks have to say on
this list and trying to get folks to be successful.  I'm not always the
right person to do certain tasks like Maven and AMF and have to keep
asking "can you live without it, at least for now?" because I see plenty
of other things that need to be done so we can start a whole new showcase
around FlexJS apps and get folks talking about how much faster and higher
quality it was to use FlexJS.

And then, the gamble for those of you who aren't paid by your employer to
work on Flex is: do I continue to contribute for free or find some other
way to get funded so I can continue to contribute so I can better the
chances that FlexJS will be successful and I will be known as one of the
pioneers of this technology and be able to ask a higher hourly rate and/or
get more contracts?  I think the big money in FlexJS will be in
contracting/consulting and not in selling software.

We are doing what I call "The Big Wait".  Many of these emails talk about
waiting for one more feature, one less bug, one customer to offer up a
testimonial, one company to spend more money before we contribute more.
In the Adobe Flex days, you had to wait for Adobe to decide what and when
to release.  In the Apache model, it requires a different mindset: the
community has to make it all happen.

In the FlexJS 0.5.0 release, we tried to make it easier for folks to
contribute, but more can certainly be done and we will make progress on
making it even easier.  But if you can find renewed motivation from these
discussions to contribute please do.  Every little bit counts.  Think of
those community house-building efforts.  Even hammering one nail makes a
difference if enough of you can.

Thanks,
-Alex

Re: FlexJS Brand Positioning