Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by e....@gmx.net on 2003/06/27 18:18:59 UTC

Writing testcase for enable_translation in trans_tests.py: found inconsistency

Hi,

I am trying to learn something about test-writing and am using the
Subversion project to do so. I decided to take one of the tasks with the bite-sized
keyword for starters. Since one of the translation tests seemed simple enough
that's where I started.

Now I found an inconsistency in Subversion. I tested my actions before
writing the test to see if it works. This is what the test does (amongst other
things):

create file 'translate' (without the quotes)
add the file to subversion
set the svn:eol-style to 'native'
status

when looking at the status output, it says:

A    translate

Now the test goes on:

commit
<end of relevant part of test>

When I do this by hand, not supplying a log message with -m, the contents of
the svn-commit.tmp file shows:

---- everything .. etc

AM translate

---end of file

The output of status was different from svn-commit.tmp; which is the correct
one to check for in my test?

bye,

Erik.

Re: Writing testcase for enable_translation in trans_tests.py: found inconsistency

Posted by e....@gmx.net.
> e.huelsmann@gmx.net writes:
> > create file 'translate' (without the quotes)
> > add the file to subversion
> > set the svn:eol-style to 'native'
> > status
> >
> > when looking at the status output, it says:
> >
> > A    translate
> >
> > Now the test goes on:
> >
> > commit
> > <end of relevant part of test>
> >
> > When I do this by hand, not supplying a log message with -m, the
> contents of
> > the svn-commit.tmp file shows:
> >
> > ---- everything .. etc
> >
> > AM translate
> >
> > ---end of file
> >
> > The output of status was different from svn-commit.tmp; which is the
> correct
> > one to check for in my test?
>
> Hmm, that seems odd.  Can you post the exact sequence of SVN commands
> you issued, and the contents of the file (just in case), and the
> platform you're running on, and the version of Subversion?

Sure,

I wrote the following shell script to create the case from start to end:

#!/bin/bash

mkdir tmp_local
cd tmp_local
svnadmin create ./repos
mkdir project
touch project/a
svn import -m "Initial" project file://`pwd`/repos
svn co file://`pwd`/repos/ r1
cd r1
touch b
svn add b
svn propset svn:keywords "Id" b
echo '==== svn status'
svn status
echo '==== svn commit'
svn commit

====

key to the following script is not to provide a log messge for the 'svn
commit' command. If you don't, then you will see that the svn-commit.tmp file
contains the AM attributes for b, where it did not for the status command.

Hope this helps!

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
e.huelsmann@gmx.net writes:
> create file 'translate' (without the quotes)
> add the file to subversion
> set the svn:eol-style to 'native'
> status
>
> when looking at the status output, it says:
>
> A    translate
>
> Now the test goes on:
>
> commit
> <end of relevant part of test>
>
> When I do this by hand, not supplying a log message with -m, the contents of
> the svn-commit.tmp file shows:
>
> ---- everything .. etc
>
> AM translate
>
> ---end of file
>
> The output of status was different from svn-commit.tmp; which is the correct
> one to check for in my test?

Hmm, that seems odd.  Can you post the exact sequence of SVN commands
you issued, and the contents of the file (just in case), and the
platform you're running on, and the version of Subversion?

Thanks,
-Karlr