Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net> on 2007/02/01 04:32:49 UTC

Re: Board response to January Report on Heraldry

Ted Leung wrote:

> On Jan 29, 2007, at 10:49 AM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>
>> The ASF Board, by Cliff Schmidt, wrote:
>>
>>> The report on Heraldry mentions a "single large block checkin"
>>
>> Two large block check-ins in January.  One for python, one for ruby.  It
>> seems as if most of the development is happening off-line and being
>> committed by proxy.  Paul Querna posted one message raising those
>> concerns.
>> There were no replies, and he didn't follow up.
>>
>>> "almost no activity" on the dev list
>>
>> Almost none is a tad of a stretch, but certainly nothing like the
>> level of
>> developer discussion that one would want to see.  And that compounds when
>> considered in light of the proxy commits.
>
> I don't think that e-mails copied to another mailing list count as
> activity.  By that measure spam would also count.  Until last week,
> there had not been a single message dealing with code that was checked
> in either prior to or after the checkin.
>

>>> and license problems not being responded to "despite requests from the
>> mentors".
>>
>> That happened back in October.  The last message I see on the subject was
>> from Ted in November, saying: "I sent a note about that to
>> heraldry-dev and
>> heard crickets in response."  On the other hand, the Mentors are posting
>> little more than a message a month, each, so there isn't much hands-on
>> guidance.
>
> We've also been attempting to get some parties/corporations to respond
> via off-list e-mails, which as you can see, have not been particularly
> successful either.
>

>> Clearly there needs to be some corrective action, and more guidance on
>> how
>> an ASF project is supposed to conduct itself.
>
> That's not much of a plan, which is what the board is asking for.
> Paul and I are about at our wit's end on what to do here, besides upping
> the number of messages that say "please talk to us on the list".    But
> given that development is happening somewhere else, I am doubtful as to
> whether that would make any difference.   Late today a thread started up
> which clearly shows that some amount of development is happening
> elsewhere:
> <http://mail-archive.com/heraldry-dev%40incubator.apache.org/msg00147.html>.
> I would definitely appreciate concrete suggestions of things to do.

I'd veto any alien code that is being developed outside the community.
If it happens frequently then kick off a vote and see if the PPMC is
ready to revoke commit rights temporarily.  If not that's a pretty
serious problem.

IMO this is something that threaten Heraldry's chances to form an
acceptable community and that would be a shame.  The project has so much
promise.  I do hope this issues get sorted out.

Regards,
Alex