Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Michael Ryan <mr...@moreover.com> on 2012/01/03 06:36:56 UTC

TrieField precisionStep effect on non-range queries and sorting

I was wondering... how does the TrieField precisionStep value affect the speed of non-range queries and sorting?

I'm assuming that int (precisionStep=0) is no slower than tint (precisionStep=8) for these - is that correct?  tint is just faster for range queries?

Is int any faster than tint for these?  Does tint having more terms slow it down in any significant way?

-Michael

Re: TrieField precisionStep effect on non-range queries and sorting

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>.
On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 12:36 AM, Michael Ryan <mr...@moreover.com> wrote:
> I was wondering... how does the TrieField precisionStep value affect the speed of non-range queries and sorting?
>
> I'm assuming that int (precisionStep=0) is no slower than tint (precisionStep=8) for these - is that correct?  tint is just faster for range queries?

Yes, tint is only faster for range queries.

> Does tint having more terms slow it down in any significant way?

Normally negligible, unless the larger index size causes negative
cache effects (i.e. if your index size is greater than the amount of
free memory available to the OS for caching).

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com