Posted to dev@parquet.apache.org by Gidon Gershinsky <gg...@gmail.com> on 2018/12/01 13:04:01 UTC

Re: [VOTE] Modular Encryption design sign-off

Xinli, thanks, this is a team / community effort. E.g., in the latest
round, I had many constructive comments from Ryan and Zoltan.
The design and document got better as the result.

Ryan, its been a while since then. Let us know if the doc is ok now. We
will resume the work once the document is signed off.

Cheers, Gidon.

Posted by Gidon Gershinsky <gg...@gmail.com>.
I had a quick look at the new comments, shouldn't be a problem to factor
them in.

Re section 5.4 - it describes an issue that is resolved today with a
workaround (in the current Parquet code, for regular files).
However, the workaround stops working when files are encrypted. Therefore,
the new fields are required for parsing encrypted files, and are
nice-to-have for parsing regular files.
I'll add details in the pr comments (some are already available in the pr
itself). Still, for the purpose of this discussion - these fields are
indeed related to encryption indirectly, and have a wider applicability.
The encryption spec doesn't have to allocate a separate section for them;
can mention this point in a sentence or two in the section 5.2. TBD at the
pr.

Cheers, Gidon.

Posted by Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com.INVALID>.

--
Ryan Blue
Software Engineer

Re: [VOTE] Modular Encryption design sign-off

Posted by Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com.INVALID>.

--
Ryan Blue
Software Engineer