Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Steve Mactaggart <st...@whitesquaresoft.com> on 2010/08/17 09:57:13 UTC

Best Practice passing data between Bookmarkable pages

Hi all,

I have a simple problem that I wanted to cast out to the wider Wicket
community for a best practice.

We try and use BookmarkablePageLinks for as much as we can, obviously so
that pages can be bookmarked.  Therefore nearly every page is constructed
via the PageParameters method.
We have a lot of pages that list items, allow a user to create a new item,
edit, delete, a pretty standard CRUD workflow.

The problem is that I want to notify the user about the the save of the save
on the next page.  If the save fails we stay on the edit page, and that
works fine.
But if the save succeeds we redirect back to another page using
setResponsePage(Class, PageParams).

What I want to do on this page (no matter what page it is) is to display a
little floating div showing the record just saved, its transaction # etc.

In the old world I would just push my saved object notification into the
Session, and then on all pages check for this value and then display and
remove it.
Is this still the best practice?

I was looking at using something like
getSession().setMetaData(MetaDataKey, Serializable) to store the the
notification details, but couldn't see a way to remove the MetaData (unless
setting to null is right)

Is this right or is there a more "wicket" way of doing this.

Cheers,
Steve

Re: Best Practice passing data between Bookmarkable pages

Posted by MattyDE <uf...@gmail.com>.
I see, i didn't explain it clearly ;)

I've a Page which displays a list of objects. But in some cases i want to
preselect some elements of this list by a user-choice from a formular on
another site.

So i want the user to choice a few objects, and than i want to redirect to
my "ListPage" an mark this choosen objects...

Sometimes the site is called WITH this initial chosen-objects... sometimes
without.

Sorry, English is not my mother tongue. Is not as easy as it should to
explain my complicated application infrastructur in another language ;)

Re: Best Practice passing data between Bookmarkable pages

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
How does the user request the page with your list items without page
parameters? I'm confused how you can say it should be bookmarkable
without providing the necessary information to the client needed to
reconstruct the page?

Martijn

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 12:58 PM, MattyDE <uf...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Are there any other ways?
>
> I need to pass a complex object-list to a BookmarkablePage for loading them
> properly, but i dont want to see them in the URI (PageParameters)... and
> using a Session-Variable is not multi-tasking save, i think?
>
> Any other hints?
>
> Thanks a lot!

Apache Wicket 1.4 increases type safety for web applications
Get it now: http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/wicket/1.4.8

Re: Best Practice passing data between Bookmarkable pages

Posted by Sven Meier <sv...@meiers.net>.
See Session#info() , it stores messages in the session.

Re: Best Practice passing data between Bookmarkable pages

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
Notice my reply wasn't to your email.  It was to Martijn's. :)

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Alex Rass <ar...@itbsllc.com>.
I may be missing smth simple, but usually to pass data within a session, I
override Session and add whatever holders I need there.
You can add a generic set/getMetaObject one if you want - it's your class.
Wicket should be able to manage the session objects happily.

- Alex

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steve Mactaggart <st...@whitesquaresoft.com>.

Posted by Josh Kamau <jo...@gmail.com>.