Posted to dev@lucy.apache.org by Nick Wellnhofer <we...@aevum.de> on 2016/08/02 20:06:36 UTC

[lucy-dev] Clownfish Roadmap

Lucifers,

I fixed most of the issues I wanted to get in the 0.6.0 release. It's mainly
boring stuff that I wanted to tackle before starting with more exciting features:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=fixVersion%20%3D%200.6.0%20AND%20project%20%3D%20CLOWNFISH

I think we all agreed to shorten the major release cycle. If nobody objects,
I'll prepare a 0.6.0 release in the next weeks which can then be released
approximately 6 months after 0.5.0. I don't have plans for a 0.5.2 bugfix
release unless there's explicit demand. I presume that the vast majority of
our users is working with the Lucy Perl bindings which stay completely unchanged.

After the 0.6.0 release, I want to add support for OOP interfaces to
Clownfish. This is a major feature required to enable callbacks from languages
without class-based inheritance like Go. After reviewing several options, I
came up with a nice approach that I'll detail on this list shortly.

Nick

Re: [lucy-dev] Clownfish Roadmap

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 10:56 AM, Nick Wellnhofer <we...@aevum.de> wrote:

> - Remaining issues are resolved.
> - Python bindings are fixed.
> - Memory leaks are fixed.
> - rat_excludes are up-to-date.
> - CPAN build is fixed.
>
> Did I miss anything? If not, I'll prepare a release candidate for 0.6.0 in
> the next days.

All the code stuff seems good.  I took care of some administrivia from the
ReleasePrep checklist.  (<http://wiki.apache.org/lucy/ReleasePrep>)  I think
we're good to go!

> OTOH, our Windows CI test matrix has improved
> considerably and now includes ActivePerl:
>
>     https://ci.appveyor.com/project/stumped2/lucy-clownfish/build/1.0.242
>     https://ci.appveyor.com/project/Humbedooh/lucy/build/1.0.66

Yeah, this is awesome!  My old workflow was to develop for Unix while trying to
maintain Windows portability, then to fire up a Windows dev environment and
fix stuff in the runup to a release.  But the Windows CI basically gives us
the same level of assurance.

Marvin Humphrey

Re: [lucy-dev] Clownfish Roadmap

Posted by Nick Wellnhofer <we...@aevum.de>.
On 09/08/2016 16:00, Nick Wellnhofer wrote:
> On 03/08/2016 03:30, Marvin Humphrey wrote:
>> Last I checked the Python bindings needed some attention.
>
> I made adjustments to the Python bindings after some of my changes, but I
> never tried to compile them. So I'm pretty sure there's some breakage. It
> would be really useful to add the Python bindings to our CI tests. I came to
> rely on the automated tests more and more.

- Remaining issues are resolved.
- Python bindings are fixed.
- Memory leaks are fixed.
- rat_excludes are up-to-date.
- CPAN build is fixed.

Did I miss anything? If not, I'll prepare a release candidate for 0.6.0 in the
next days.

Unfortunately, the CPAN dev releases I created for the 0.5.0 release weren't
very helpful. It seems that it's impossible to make CPAN Testers use a dev
release as prerequisite:

     http://stackoverflow.com/q/36409497

So we could only test Clownfish-CFC. I think I'll skip this step for 0.6.0,
although I'd really like to test whether the changes to the build system
introduced any regressions. OTOH, our Windows CI test matrix has improved

Posted by Nick Wellnhofer <we...@aevum.de>.

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Tue, Aug 2, 2016 at 1:06 PM, Nick Wellnhofer <we...@aevum.de> wrote:

> I fixed most of the issues I wanted to get in the 0.6.0 release. It's mainly
> boring stuff that I wanted to tackle before starting with more exciting
> features:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=fixVersion%20%3D%200.6.0%20AND%20project%20%3D%20CLOWNFISH

18 issues resolved, only 2 still open!

> I think we all agreed to shorten the major release cycle. If nobody objects,
> I'll prepare a 0.6.0 release in the next weeks which can then be released
> approximately 6 months after 0.5.0. I don't have plans for a 0.5.2 bugfix
> release unless there's explicit demand. I presume that the vast majority of
> our users is working with the Lucy Perl bindings which stay completely
> unchanged.

Sounds great.  I'll help out with the tasks here:

  http://wiki.apache.org/lucy/ReleasePrep

Last I checked the Python bindings needed some attention.

> After the 0.6.0 release, I want to add support for OOP interfaces to
> Clownfish. This is a major feature required to enable callbacks from
> languages without class-based inheritance like Go. After reviewing several
> options, I came up with a nice approach that I'll detail on this list
> shortly.

I'll be interested to see your latest take on this. Both the Go and
the Python bindings are missing extensibility in anticipation of
Clownfish adding interface support.

Marvin Humphrey