Posted to wsif-user@ws.apache.org by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu> on 2004/08/26 10:19:34 UTC

WSIF future [Re: WSIF bugs

SOUILLARD CHARLES wrote:

>I saw that there are 27 open bugs in WSIF.

believe this is not many compare to AXIS over 300 issues and half
unassigned ...
(http://nagoya.apache.org/jira/secure/BrowseProject.jspa?id=10460)

>They are not assigned.
>Is it planed to fix them or not ?
>Some of them are very old...

if there is patch submitted (and test to verify fix) i will be more than
happy to commit changes into CVS but i do not know enough and do not
have time to work on JMS issues or code i do not use or wrote - remember
apache is about volunteers working in their free time (at least for most
of us ...)

>I saw in mailing list archives that WSIF is "stable".
>Are you sure of that with 27 bugs ?

yes. 2.0 is stable. most of bugs are feature requests, enhancements, or
special cases whereas core functionality works ok (IMHO).

however the problem is that it seems that IBM developers that were
working on WSIF and that developed the most  of code handling JMS etc
are no longer around ...

personally the way i look on WSIF future is that it should remain
WSDL-centric and to build next version to have better support for next
WSDL version (WSDL2) and improve doc/literal handling (and add any other
useful features contributed by anybody!) - also worthwhile would be to
it so AXIS2 improvements can be leveraged (such as better doc/literal.
WSDL2 support, etc)

however this is just my view and all really depends on how many people
want to work on it (right now not many ...) and WSIF looks when compared
to other development efforts especially such as new JAX-RPC ...

thanks,

alek