Posted to users@maven.apache.org by David Hoffer <dh...@gmail.com> on 2015/09/14 17:14:39 UTC

Upgrading to 3.3.3

We are attempting to upgrade our CI builds to use Maven 3.3.3 but are
getting new errors with that version (3.2.5 worked).

The error is: -Dmaven.multiModuleProjectDirectory system propery is not
set. Check $M2_HOME environment variable and mvn script match.

This only seems to be an issue with some of our builds, specifically the
ones where the top level build is an Ant script that calls Maven via
maven-ant-tasks.

What is this new property multiModuleProjectDirectory, why was it added and
how do I fix this? The online links on this issue seem vague and point to
updates needed in Eclipse and IntelliJ but in my case there is no IDE just
a CI build.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Dave

Re: Upgrading to 3.3.3

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi David,

On 9/14/15 7:20 PM, David Hoffer wrote:
> Thanks for the info...that really clears up the issues.  Let me try to
> answer your questions.
>
> Yes we use 'maven-ant-tasks-2.1.3.jar' to call maven from an Ant
> script.

Based on my point of view there is no advantage to call Maven from Ant ?
just call it directly..also in TeamCity you can call mvn directly..

> I didn't create any of the Ant stuff so can't say why things
> are the way they are but we use this a lot to download artifacts from
> Nexus so probably used it to run Maven builds too because all the
> configuration was already setup.

The downloads are done by Maven automaticially...

> Currently the Ant scripts create InstallAnywhere (IA) installers

Means as far as i know create some folder structures with particular
files in it ? (i know IZPack a bit..)....would sound like a job for
maven-assembly-plugin may be some parts can be done by
maven-resources-plugin ...

https://github.com/stephenc/java-iso-tools

> Yes I'm aware Maven 3.3.3 needs JDK7, that's okay as we build all new
> stuff with JDK8.  We use TeamCity for CI.
Ok..so no problem...

> I didn't realize that Maven-Ant-Tasks cared what version of Maven it was
> used with.  Do you know what's the latest Maven version
> it officially supports?

As as i know it should work till 3.2.5 as you already realized... (but
officially Hm..whatever this means..)...

 > Perhaps I can use this as the reason to bite
> the bullet and convert the remaining Ant portions to Maven.

If you have questions converning that please don't hesitate to ask here
on the list...so we can support you....

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

Re: Upgrading to 3.3.3

Posted by David Hoffer <dh...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the info...that really clears up the issues.  Let me try to
answer your questions.

Yes we use 'maven-ant-tasks-2.1.3.jar' to call maven from an Ant script.  I
didn't create any of the Ant stuff so can't say why things are the way they
are but we use this a lot to download artifacts from Nexus so probably used
it to run Maven builds too because all the configuration was already setup.

Currently the Ant scripts create InstallAnywhere (IA) installers and
generate ISO images.  There are no native Maven plugins for these tasks but
we have created wrappers for use with Maven in other projects but they are
not compatible with this particular build so we would need to refactor the
build to make the full switch to Maven.

Yes I'm aware Maven 3.3.3 needs JDK7, that's okay as we build all new stuff
with JDK8.  We use TeamCity for CI.

I didn't realize that Maven-Ant-Tasks cared what version of Maven it was
used with.  Do you know what's the latest Maven version
it officially supports?  Perhaps I can use this as the reason to bite the

Re: Upgrading to 3.3.3

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi David,

Re: Upgrading to 3.3.3

Posted by David Hoffer <dh...@gmail.com>.
The reason for the Ant script is historical.  It's a very large project
that back in the day was 100% Ant.  Over time portions were migrated to
Maven, the only way to integrate with the larger Ant script is with
Maven-Ant-Task.
Today all the developer builds are pure maven but most of the CI builds
have to do more than that...build installers, build ISO images, etc.
Unfortunately those other tasks are still Ant.

We don't have any '.mvn' folders.  Shouldn't multiModuleProjectDirectory
just default to the same folder that has the top level pom?  Not clear why
pure maven build works w/o setting multiModuleProjectDirectory but not when
using Maven-Ant-Task.

We don't call "mvn.bat" or "mvn.cmd" directly as that must be handled
by Maven-Ant-Task.
I wondered if the change from bat to cmd was the cause of the problem,
still not sure.  I did see that Maven-Ant-Task has not been updated in
quite some time, it's unfortunate if it needs to be updated for Maven 3.3.3
and not just work the same as prior versions.

Are you saying that 3.3.3 isn't going to work with Maven-Ant-Task?  If so

Re: Upgrading to 3.3.3

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi,