Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Garrett Smith <gs...@northwestern.edu> on 2002/03/02 22:04:06 UTC

Configuration in a hosted environment

I'm developing an app on my personal host using TC3.3.  Setup and
configuration are relatively easy because I have root access.

Eventually, however, I want to create a WAR file and move the production app
to a hosting service for the usual reason: reliability.

How is configuration typically handled in this circumstance?  I'm assuming I
will only have minimal access to the configuration files, if any access at
all, on a shared server.

For example, I'm using HTTP basic authentication to restrict access to some
administration JSPs and servlets.  This, however, requires apps.xml to point
to myapp-users.xml.  On a shared server I'll want access to myapp-users.xml.
Will I get it?

Are there any other "gotchas" in the transition to a shared host?

Thanks,
Garrett

SSI in TC3.3?

Posted by Garrett Smith <gs...@northwestern.edu>.
Does Tomcat 3.3 support server-side includes for static content?

I know that JSPs support including other JSPs or other static html files,
but I imagine that this is a relatively expensive process, since JSPs are
compiled and executed.

Thanks,
Garrett