Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Outback Dingo <ou...@gmail.com> on 2013/05/25 16:08:07 UTC

Re: 4.1 release manager

On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 10:06 AM, Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Some time back I offered to be RM for 4.1.x , since then I took on the
> GSoC effort and won't have time to be the RM.
>
> Therefore the position is up for grabs.
>
> Any takers ?

can we get a brief description of the responsibilities? I just might be
interested

Re: 4.1 release manager

Posted by Outback Dingo <ou...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 10:24 AM, Chip Childers
<ch...@sungard.com>wrote:

> On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 10:52:34AM -0400, Outback Dingo wrote:
> > On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 10:33 AM, Chip Childers
> > <ch...@sungard.com>wrote:

> runseb@gmail.com

> the

> might be

> > > track of the JIRA bugs that need to be applied to the 4.1 branch,
> > > cherry-pick them, do some minimal testing and conflict resolution. Then
> > > prepare the source artifacts, signature, release notes. And finally
> start
> > > the [VOTE] threads.

> elaborate
> > > and my one sentence description.

> the
> > > groove.

> > > The only requirement is that the RM needs to be a committer for the
> > > technical aspects of the work. However, we might be able to work
> > > something out if a non committer wanted to do this.
> > >

> > From my opinion on being an RM, I dont believe the need to be a commiter
> > should exist.
>
> It does for the technical bits - actually doing commits to the repo,
> access to the release distro area, the right to call a release VOTE, etc...

well, yes if the responsibilities include modification of code, you would
require access

> > However I have no issues being a commiter, Im not inclined to do major
> > works, until I shore
> > up the work Ive done, which is very XCP specific.
>
> Sorry - just to be clear here.  I'm not suggesting that someone offering
> to help with the release management would immediately be given commit
> rights.

Which is understandable, committers need time to be vetted and work
reviewed, of which I
have been working for months and object storage design specific to CS, as a
project of my
own which hopefully, one day will see light of day in CS and a plugin

Re: 4.1 release manager

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Re: 4.1 release manager

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 05:35:36PM +0000, Musayev, Ilya wrote:
> Thanks Chip.
>
> Officially accepted, I'm going to create git-monitor scripts to email me of daily git changes and see if they are applicable to 4.1.x.
>
> I'll share the script once I have it working, perhaps it can be used by other RMs.

Actually, why don't you just subscribe to commits@cloudstack.apache.org
and setup MUA filters to look for the branches you care about?

RE: 4.1 release manager

Posted by "Musayev, Ilya" <im...@webmd.net>.
Thanks Chip.

Officially accepted, I'm going to create git-monitor scripts to email me of daily git changes and see if they are applicable to 4.1.x.

I'll share the script once I have it working, perhaps it can be used by other RMs.

Regards
ilya

Re: 4.1 release manager

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Re: 4.1 release manager

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 04:18:51PM +0000, Musayev, Ilya wrote:
> I will tentatively say yes - pending my discussion with Chip on Thursday on the process.

Outback - if you want to help, that's still a possibility (see my note
about how you could help).

Ilya has the commit-bit, so he can be the "official" RM (assuming that I
can talk him into it).

And this brings up a good point about documentation...  we have the
formal "steps" documented for cutting a release on the wiki, but little
to no docs on how to do the softer side.

-chip

RE: 4.1 release manager

Posted by "Musayev, Ilya" <im...@webmd.net>.

Re: 4.1 release manager

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.

Re: 4.1 release manager

Posted by Outback Dingo <ou...@gmail.com>.
<ch...@sungard.com>wrote:

> On May 25, 2013, at 10:16 AM, Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On May 25, 2013, at 10:08 AM, Outback Dingo <ou...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> >> can we get a brief description of the responsibilities? I just might be
> >> interested
> >
> > You would be responsible to get the 4.1.x releases out the door. Keep
> track of the JIRA bugs that need to be applied to the 4.1 branch,
> cherry-pick them, do some minimal testing and conflict resolution. Then
> prepare the source artifacts, signature, release notes. And finally start
> the [VOTE] threads.
> >
> > Basically what Joe has been doing for 4.0.x, am I sure he can elaborate
> and my one sentence description.
> >
> > I am sure, Chip, Joe, myself and others would help you out to get in the
> groove.
> >
> > -Sebastien
>
> The only requirement is that the RM needs to be a committer for the
> technical aspects of the work. However, we might be able to work
> something out if a non committer wanted to do this.
>

>From my opinion on being an RM, I dont believe the need to be a commiter
should exist.
However I have no issues being a commiter, Im not inclined to do major
works, until I shore
up the work Ive done, which is very XCP specific. In my opinion, an RM
should have some
autonomy in management. Ive run R&D shops for a decade, We always

Re: 4.1 release manager

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Re: 4.1 release manager

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.